Chimney removal turns into roof job

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billb3

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2007
SE Mass
4 or 5 years ago I patched up the flashing on the old chimney due to a leak in the kitchen ceiling.
2 years ago I replaced the oil burner and went Direct Vent to eliminate the chimney and gain the space in the kitchen.
The last heavy rain the kitchen ceiling leaked again ( right in the center of the room ) so figure the flashing is leaking again and it's time to remove the chimney.
Take the stainless chimney top off check out the flashing which actually still looks pretty good, then notice a good size patch of shingles on the far side of the chimney are crumbling and have big cracks between the tabs.
IMG_0151.JPG

So the chimney comes down anyway.
Deconstructed glory
IMG_0152.JPG

Find under the white shingles are a second layer of green shingles in really tough shape
so just patching the chimney hole and replacing that field of crumbling shingles likely isn't going to happen.

IMG_0153.JPG

Couldn't get up there today with the rain beyond adding some more weights to keep the tarp down.
Might have some ice dam damage too. Gotta check that out next.
The fun never ends.

and of course the weather forecast calls for 50,60,70,50 percent chance of rain for the next 4 days

I hear ya. Roofers finished up a week and a half ago and the gutters guys finished Friday. Expensive but for the first time in my life I just sat in the back yard in a lawn chair and watched somebody else do that stuff. And never heard my body hit the ground one time.

Funny thing how often one project turns into another project when you discover issues . . . roof job turned into a siding job since the cedar shingles looked so crappy . . . and then I found some rot in some of the sills . . . and we figured we might as well replace a few windows . . . move the hot tub . . . beef up the back porch . . . paint the basement window trim . . . and the list goes on.

Project completed.
Kinda like no penetrations in the roof so the new wood stove chimney may go out and up.
IMG_0192.JPGIMG_0191.JPGIMG_0190.JPG

Yeah there;s still one white roof. That bump off and mold growing medium is going away some day.
And a dented gutter from sliding off the roof needs to be bent back.

Looks great. I wasn't offered the scissors option. >>

There's a leftover hammer there too.

Hopefully next time it needs new shingles it is someone else's house.
But it is done enough I can go on vacation July 31 .
If I had paid someone else It would have come from vacation money.

Good job. Glad when you slid it was over that lower roof. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.