Chimney seam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Narf

Oct 31, 2012
I have another question for you all. When I was sweeping my chimney a few weeks ago, my brush was getting snagged on one of the joints between sections as I pulled the nylon brush back up. I looked down and could see the seam pulled in a little on one side at the joint. Is this anything to be worried about? Safety wise? Or do I need to take this apart and try to bend it back?

Thanks,
Nick

Is this at the joint where the male end is slid into the female? The pulled in part is at the bottom of the section?

It really depends on how bad it is. You don't want to introduce an area that will let in cold air, and you don't want to make a place where heat can escape. If feasible, I would probably try to correct it.

Correct. The male end(pointed down) is pulled in on one side an inch or two. Enough it makes it difficult to get my brush past and is can see it looking down.

If it is bad enough, it will leave a separation from pipe section to pipe section. Not a good thing. Cold air could get in causing a creosote build up, or if bad enough you could be introducing a spot where high heat could escape the pipe. Depending on your design, that could be bad also. Double wall pipe?

Yes, it is double wall pipe. Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be doing some hammering this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.