chimney separation from house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shweebies

Oct 22, 2008
Central Texas
ok! We have known for a couple of months that the chimney is seperating from the house. Does anybody know what we need to do? We propped a telephone pole against the chimney to hopefully hold it in place. We live south of dallas and I guess we need to find a mason - but we can't find any decent recommendations. Does anybody know of a good mason in the dallas/fort worth area?

I have family and friends in the area - I sent them your query. I'll post anything they come up with...

Hopefully something more useful than "let it fall, and stop building heavy things on sand!"

OK got some info for you...

one guy: "Shifting clay. He needs a foundation guy."

other guy just had his foundation reworked and recommends Kevin Birdsong - Fort Worth Foundation Repair. Card attached.

Attachments

• foundation_repair.jpg
    foundation_repair.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 219
Thanks so much! I have called someone in my area that work with these helical piers and look forward to any other information I can get to get this chimney back into shape. I was told we had to rebuild the whole thing - geez, I didn't even want to know how much that would cost! UGH!

Yeah, sandy loam soil is not the best thing to build anything on. I wish you could pier and beam a chimney :)

Sweet! I am calling the Fort Worth guy right now!

hearth.com rocks!!

The helical screw anchors work real well as long as they have something to bolt to.

Status
Not open for further replies.