Chimney Size for 2 6" or 8" liners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RXTC

Dec 20, 2011
Indiana
I have a 150 year old home that was originally heated by coal.

The home has 2 chimneys, but one chimney was sealed up, and made to use with newer furnaces over the years.

The side that still has hearths, use vent free gas logs. I'd like to covert them to using small wood stoves.

One on the main floor that I could actually burn with the door open for those cozy evenings with the lady friends, and the other would be in the finished basement, and used for back up heat.

The main heating source for the house is a high efficiency gas furnace.

The inside dimensions of the unlined chimney is approximately 10"X15".

Would this be large enough to run 2 liners up to 8" in diameter each?

Do they need to be insulated from each other?

One of the stoves I read the manual on suggested a 8" flue for open burning. Nothing was mentioned about more than one flue in the chimney though.

Thank you for your suggestion/comments in advance.

Greetings. What stove are you looking at that is asking for an 8" liner? For small stoves go 6". 8" is only used on a few very large stoves.Most stoves are 6". Given the age of the chimney I would go insulated. You might even go 5.5 or 5" for the basement run if it is going to be greater than 30 feet. Duraliner is pre-insulated and should fit.

For clarification, are you sure the basement and main floor fireplaces use the same chimney and that there are not two separate flues in one chimney?

Reactions: PapaDave
I forget what stove that I read the manual on, but more than likely it was a Vermont castings, Intrepid, or Resolute.

Both fire places were fitted with a sheet metal sliding trap door. I can look up with a flash light on the first floor level and see the rectangular interior of the chimney, so I just assumed the basement vented to it also, since its directly below.

I am pretty sure the basement chimney on this side of the home was used to heat at sometime in the past. Oddly enough even at 150 years old, the basement was finished at some point early in its life, and its always been a walk out basement :D

Also I doubt it matters, but the chimneys are on the interior of the home, in the middle of the house from front to back, and each one sits in 8' from the side of the home.

Both of those stoves are 6" venting. I would have a chimney sweep clean and assess the condition of the chimneys for starters. He can tell you exactly how the flues are set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.