Chimney size questions (again)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimrgordon

Apr 28, 2015
UTAH
Hey everyone, I have found this site so helpful and am very grateful for all of the knowledge here. I am installing an "OLD" stove it is a Bi-centenial from early 80's. It has an 8 inch opening for the chimney and I am wanting to ( wondering if I can or should) reduce this down to a 6". I have read the forums about reducing and I am wondering if this stove was made before any "real" testing was ever done, or if 8" was just the size then...? So with that in mind I pose the question can an "OLDER" stove be reduced ...?

It can be but chances are it will not work very well we do reduce down to 7 often because in many chimneys that is all the liner you can get in with insulation and that usually works fine but 6 is probably to far

I have a large Timberline that I reduced down to 6 inches from 8 inches. It works great and cannot imagine it working any better. It is a double door large stove and I believe I read they only needed 8 inch flue because they were designed to be opened like a fireplace also. I can tell you that I can open it and still have no issues.

The chimney height height and design has an important effect here. If this is a cold exterior chimney, reducing to 6" could increase the possibility of reverse draft as the stove cools down. Keep the flue at 8" if this is what the stove requires.

Status
Not open for further replies.