Chimney smell a draft issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaBee

Feb 2, 2015
Oregon
I've been having a problem with an extremely smelly chimney. It got progessively worse over the last couple years so I took out the pellet stove that was originally there. Unless I had a fire going the smell would fill the entire house when it got really hot, really cold or would rain. I finally decided to install an olympic wood stove insert so the heatilator tubes were cut out and the top of the chimney was sealed. The installer did a controlled burn down my chimney to remove any stubborn creosote. They packed it with insulation where needed yet I still get a chimney smell before I even used the stove. I think the heatilator tubes are the problem but there must be a draft to still suck the smell out, right? I do have a heat pump so it does suck some of the smell out when it's on but it is a problem even when I don't use it. I'm wondering if it is possible that there are chimney cracks that could cause this? There is also a blower for the heatilator tubes under the house. Could that be causing a draft? I'm so tired of this smell and I don't know what else to do to try to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unless I had a fire going the smell would fill the entire house when it got really hot, really cold or would rain. I finally decided to install an olympic wood stove insert so the heatilator tubes were cut out and the top of the chimney was sealed. The installer did a controlled burn down my chimney to remove any stubborn creosote. They packed it with insulation where needed yet I still get a chimney smell before I even used the stove.
It was like that at my MIL's house. I think in that case it was the stack effect of the house; The chimney wasn't as high as the top of the roof and when it got hot in the attic, air would leak out there and draw the smell down the chimney. I cleaned out the smoke chamber as best I could with a wire brush, put the insert in with an insulation strip around the edge of it, and no more smell.
It's possible that the "controlled burn" didn't get the smoke chamber cleaned out. Maybe consult with another sweep? Check csia.org for certified sweeps in your area.

The installer did a controlled burn down my chimney to remove any stubborn creosote.
what????? A chimney professional set a chimney fire on purpose? Was he licenced or certified in any way? That is the stupidest and most irresponsible thing i have heard of a pro doing to clean a chimney. Where the tubes sealed off after they were cut? Actually what we usually do is put our block off plate above the tubes to isolate them from the chimney column. either that or seal them off well.

what????? A chimney professional set a chimney fire on purpose? Was he licenced or certified in any way? That is the stupidest and most irresponsible thing i have heard of a pro doing to clean a chimney. Where the tubes sealed off after they were cut? Actually what we usually do is put our block off plate above the tubes to isolate them from the chimney column. either that or seal them off well.
They used some type of lighter fluid to start a ring of fire around the top and then it slowly burned it's way down. I was told that it would burn away any old stubborn creosote. They said it got everything. The main smell issue apparently was from the top of the heatilator tubes (shelf?) where old creosote built up but couldn't be removed during normal cleanings. They said they got everything off of it. They put a plate over the tubes that they cut. I'm not exactly sure where that would be. I will ask them about adding a plate above the tubes.

One thing I noticed was that there is a small gap all around the bottom of the tubes at the base of the fireplace. Is it supposed to be like that? I thought maybe air was blowing through the tubes and coming out at the bottom. There were air vents above the fireplace where the heatilator tubes would blow out. We filled those holes with mortar and it helped a little but there is definitely a draft coming from under the stove. It is insulated around the sides but not underneath. Is there an option of sealing beneath the stove?

They used some type of lighter fluid to start a ring of fire around the top and then it slowly burned it's way down. I was told that it would burn away any old stubborn creosote.
It is absurd that a professional would ever consider setting off a chimney fire, The risk to you house is massive and i personally would never allow them back in my house. I will ask you again are they licenced or certified in any way? If they are you need to report them to what ever authority certifies them. What they did is terribly irresponsible and dangerous.

Is the liner insulated and is there a full block off plate installed?

It is absurd that a professional would ever consider setting off a chimney fire, The risk to you house is massive and i personally would never allow them back in my house. I will ask you again are they licenced or certified in any way? If they are you need to report them to what ever authority certifies them. What they did is terribly irresponsible and dangerous.

Agreed . . . this is the first time I have ever heard of any sweep deliberately setting a fire in the chimney to burn off the creosote.

Wow, I've heard of old farmers doing this and even seen my dad do it with his stove pipes outside in the snow, but I can't believe a pro would ever do it!!!!!!!

even seen my dad do it with his stove pipes outside in the snow,
I have burnt off caps and stove pipe outside but i would never think of setting anything on fire attached to the house

Yes, they are certified. It seemed a bit risky to me but they said they do it all the time and someone stayed on the roof with the hose, just in case.

I don't believe they insulated the liner but they stuffed insulation around the heatilator tubes. I'm going to ask for insulation around the liner and a plate above the tubes. Anything other suggestions that might help the draft issue?

Thanks for everyone's feedback. :)

Yes, they are certified. It seemed a bit risky to me but they said they do it all the time and someone stayed on the roof with the hose, just in case.
Ok you need to report them to what ever organization certifies them and they will loose that certification. What they did is extremely dangerous and using a hose on a chimney fire is pretty stupid to. If i where you i would not let them anywhere near my house after they set it on fire purposely.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.