Chimney stainless steel liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroads

Feeling the Heat
Jun 19, 2008
Small Town, RI
Ok, so I'm hoping to order the new Hampton I300 this week. Got a decent quote but was talking with a friend and he told me that I NEED to get an insulated chimney liner but both the companies I talked that do the install tell me that getting an insulated liner isn't necessary because the chimney itself is the insulator.

Who's blowing smoke??

Is your chimney an interior or exterior chimney? Thats the difference...

You'll never go wrong with an insulated liner. The warmer the flue gases stay to the top, the better...

It's an external chimney. Thanks!

I'd say insulate it for sure then. How tall is the flue?

Single story Ranch. If I had to guess I'd say 16'.

I agree, if at all possible insulate the liner. There are several ways to do it, just make sure you have the room in the flue to add the insulation if that is what you are going to do, There is a blanket wrap sole in 1/4" and 1/2" thickness. I believe 1/2" thickness will meet the UL1777 code for zero clearance, and will add about 1.5" to your liner. There is also a pour down mixture of vermiculite and cement. Once they are mixed with water they can be poured between the liner and the existing flue. Make sure you block off the bottom so it doesn't fall through. Once it sets up you can remove the block off.

Backroads, Glad to see you are getting the Hampton. I think you will love it. Can't wait for pics. By the way, I agree with your statement in another thread. These stoves apparently appeal to a woman's taste . That is how we ended up with a Hampton.;)

Reactions: Backroads
I've got a measly 15 feet of pipe which was fine until I installed the Progress. I will be insulating and reporting back at Hearth.com for the good, the bad and the ugly of spending $$$ to insulate. 15 feet was fine for the VC Resolute, the FV, but NOT for the Progress. Stay tuned.... Hopefully Winter gets below 50 F this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.