Chimney/Stove Pipe Brand Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
Would like some more opinions on various brands - looking at Simpson (Duratech) vs. Selkirk (Superpro). Opinions? The dealers seem to push the Simposon, but the Superpro seems to be constructed of better materials. How about ease of connection?

Thanks

I used supervent which is a Selkirk from Lowe's.
My Father-in-law used A Simpson Product. Corie from englander Stove Works says they exclusively use Simpson products.
I reckon the most important part is the UL certification sticker because that means it is up to par.

I also used the Supervent (Selkirk) stuff from Lowe's since it was all I could get. I think the Superpro stuff even uses the same parts numbers. The Supervent stuff was OK, and their ceiling support kit looks really good in the house, but I was not overly impressed with it, especially since the chimney leaked water out the ceiling support during rains. The water was getting in through the outside chimney seams and leaking down.

I have no experience with the Simpson.

I just bought Selkirk Metalbestos Sure Temp. It meets all the same specs as Duratech but is cheaper. The only diff I found is the way they do the insulation. I found a good deal (I think) on net, 6" thru wall kit , plus 14' of 6" chimney pipe for $656. I will PM details if you want.

I wanted to buy Simpson Duravent (DVL), but my local shop sells EXCEL (ICC). I asked about it in this forum and it got top notch reviews. From the little I've learned it seems to be top of the line. If anyone thinks otherwise, please post. I'm hoping to buy it next week for my new install.

Here's their website: http://www.hearthproducts.com/public/excel/

I prefer Selkirk Metalbestos for quality and their excellent technical support, if you need to call the them directly!

Make your best decision based on quality, cost and availability. Choose wisely.

Valhalla said:
I prefer Selkirk Metalbestos for quality and their excellent technical support, if you need to call the them directly!

Make your best decision based on quality, cost and availability. Choose wisely.

I agree. I've talked to a girl named Karen at tech support and she was great.

Regarding the Selkirk Metalbestos chimney systems:

I just installed a Metalbestos Roof Support Bracket and a 48" length of 6" 6UT-48" pipe, which is the Metalbestos Ultra-Temp Stainless series.

I then ordered, and recieved, (2) Metalbestos 6" 36" length stainless from a web retailer(thinking it would be 6UT-36 pipe), and what I GOT was Metalbestos Sure-Temp stainless pipe, part number 6ST-36.

Does anybody know the difference between the Ultra-Temp and Sure-Temp product lines? They are compatable and can be interchangeable, but I was expecting (2) lengths of 6UT-36, not 6ST-36.

The only difference I can find reading the literature is that the UT-series is a lifetime guarantee with 300-series stainless inner pipe and 430-series stainless outer, while the ST-series has a (?) warranty, and a 430-series inner pipe as opposed to the 300-series on the UT.

Am I splitting hairs here?

I will post this question as a separate thread.

I would go to their website first, then call them directly if you cannot find the simple answer on the web.
Also, get a copy of their catalog. as it is very complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.