chimney support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowtime

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2007
northern BC
I am going to put a T6 in and it needs a chimney. I have big log ceiling joists and I do not like the size or looks of those ceiling support boxes and I can not use the standard ceiling support. This is a stove installation on the main floor which will go up through a second floor before exiting roof.Sentinel has a combination roof, ceiling or floor support package that basically is 2 L shaped pieces of steel that screw into a section of pipe. They can hold 30' of pipe. What i like about it is the pipe can extend up to 20' below the support with a total of 30' support rating. My chimney will have 18' of class A.

What I want is to have the class A extend down 2' into the living room. From there to the stove will be double wall. The reason is I need to extend down is to have safe clearances to the 12" log ceiling joists. As far as I can see now this is the only way to have the pipe extend down enough. I also plan on using 2 of the support packages to make it super strong.

Any thoughts or problems OR do you know of another way to have class A extend down a couple of feet.

If I was me, instead of using the support box, I would use roof braces which some companies offer. They attach around the pipe on the outside, and nail to the roof. Then inside I would use close clearance pipe, which unlike regular 24gauge black pipe with clearances of 18", only has 6" clearances.

The 6" clearence of the double pipe won't do itfor me. I need to go up and down from the ceiling with class A. The part I am refering to is similar to the roof braces that you are referingto but made to go in the home and they screw in the pipe. The sentinel braces say they can be used on "roof or ceiling". I am going to go with this idea unless someone knows why I shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.