chimney surround?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Socratic Monologue

Burning Hunk
Dec 2, 2009
WI
Looking for ideas/advice on external chimney surrounds. Seems (based on what is being sold online, anyway) that a common solution to the 3-4 feet of class A sticking out of the roof is a fake-bricks-on-sheet-metal box that looks like a masonry chimney. Looks easy and inexpensive, but I wonder how it looks and how long it lasts.

http://www.fireplacemall.com/Chimney_Surrounds/chimney_surrounds.html

I also have read of folks who construct a stud framed box around the class A and affix brick facing of some sort to it. I've not researched this route at all (I'm not even familiar with the sorts of faux brick products that are available), but I suspect I'm handy enough to do something like this.

Any ideas, advice, or warnings?

The fake brick chase you posted is very uncommon. Most stick frame a chase and cover it with either stone veneer, or siding of some sort. Cement siding is the most common because if its durability.

Status
Not open for further replies.