chimney sweep brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkupcha

Dec 21, 2006
I wanted to purchase a professional chimney brush with fiberglass poles. Can someone recommend a good website? Current sweep prices for my area are $150. Been watching him do it for 3 years now. Sweeps for 15 minutes, vacuums up the dust. Then out the door. Understand the importance of having a pro do a safety check but once a year should be fine. I can sweep myself at the 6 month point. Thanks.

Go to rutland.com or you can pick on up a your local Ace hardware store. Are you cleaning a clay or stainless steel chimney?
If it's a metal chimney I would go with a polybrush, at least that's the recommendation for my ss liner.

Amazon has some good prices.

Don't get the steel brush unless you are prepared to do something to reduce its diameter. I used one yesterday and it fitted so tight that I had a crisis half way through because it wouldn't budge up or down. I ended up having to dismantle the chimney to get the brush out. If it were smaller in diameter it would have worked fine. I have not yet tried the poly brush, but I believe they are more compliant. I have thought of rolling the steel brush between 2 sheets of plywood to try to reduce its diameter, but have no idea if it will work successfully or not.

I got two 6" Poly-Pro's comin' tomorrow from Woodland Direct. I'll report back on the fit & performance. I've heard that same thing before about how tight the steel brushes can be. Rick

Just for clarification, I have heard that the poly brushes fit tighter than the steel ones. I have a flex liner and am using the steel brush (rutland). I have read that this is not right for a SS liner, but, nobody local carries the poly brushes. So which is it? Do the poly's fit too tight, do the steel ones fit too tight, or does it vary depending upon manufacturer?

BTW, pilot joe, now is the time of year that Lowe's has the fiberglass chimney rods. They had them last year in 4 foot lengths for about 5 bucks a length. Not sure what the price is this year. KD

Poly brushes are by far stiffer and tighter than the steel ones. Unless you get the ones made for pre-fab chimneys like I use. They have more flexible bristles and more of them.

The rods are just under eight bucks apiece at Lowe's this year. But for the life of me I don't understand why anybody would buy the damned things. Use ropes and pull the thing through. I have the rods and threw $50 bucks worth of them off the roof into the woods the first time I used them.

I read a lot about this before I ordered my brushes. I got the Poly-Pro's made for pre-fab metal chimneys based on what I learned from reading and from smart people posting here. I also figured that if they're just too damned tight, the poly would be easier to downsize than a steel brush. I ordered no rods, I'm gonna drop a plumb bob on the end of my rope into the firebox, hook two poly brushes in series on the rope, and pull 'em down, then back up...at least that's my plan. Tomorrow's the day I'll give 'er a try. Rick

fossil said:
I read a lot about this before I ordered my brushes. I got the Poly-Pro's made for pre-fab metal chimneys based on what I learned from reading and from smart people posting here. I also figured that if they're just too damned tight, the poly would be easier to downsize than a steel brush. I ordered no rods, I'm gonna drop a plumb bob on the end of my rope into the firebox, hook two poly brushes in series on the rope, and pull 'em down, then back up...at least that's my plan. Tomorrow's the day I'll give 'er a try. Rick

Put something on the floor of that firebox Rick so that plumb bob doesn't nuke a firebrick. The weight of the rope will take it down just fine. Well, unless it has to pass a squirrel carcass on the way.

BrotherBart said:
...Put something on the floor of that firebox Rick so that plumb bob doesn't nuke a firebrick. The weight of the rope will take it down just fine. Well, unless it has to pass a squirrel carcass on the way.

Good tip, BB, thanks. I figured I'd actually be "lowering" it rather than just "dropping" it...but I think I'll put a piece of 1x4 or something in there based on your suggestion. I'll be careful. Hell, I gotta be careful with the shop stove, it's a CFM! If I break anything I'll prob'ly have to make my own parts. %-P Rick

Can someone suggest the proper 6" poly brush for a flex liner? A link would be nice. I am checking the sponsors page as I post this. KD

woodsie8 said:
Hey Rick, can you post the website for exactly what you bought. The stove is in, 6 inch liner, insulated. Thanks!!!

Kim, this is what I bought. I'm sure they're probably available from multiple vendors. Mine are arriving tomorrow, and I'll know a heck of a lot more about what I'm talking about after I've had a chance to actually use them. I'll post a pic of my rig and a report on my success (or lack thereof). Rick

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...-Metal-Chimneys/PRO-CHOICE-Wire-Chimney-Brush

Reads like it's a more flexible brush than the ones I have coming. I'll give mine a try & see what happens. Rick

fossil said:
Reads like it's a more flexible brush than the ones I have coming. I'll give mine a try & see what happens. Rick

Yeah I went to them when I saw how little the EPA stoves left in the pipes. No use in punishing the liners when all I was sweeping out was a little soot. I actually thought about just balling up a rag and putting it through on the rope. Used the softie once last year on each pipe and loved it. They are longer than the regular brushes with more bristles.

Yup, if I have trouble pulling mine down through the back-to-back 45's, I'll order me a couple of those & give 'em a try. Thanks, BB. Rick

fossil said:
Yup, if I have trouble pulling mine down through the back-to-back 45's, I'll order me a couple of those & give 'em a try. Thanks, BB. Rick

Those should come through the 45's with solid pipe alright. Just a little "ummph". The corrugated liners provide more resistance.

I have the standard stiff poly brush. Cleaning out the Ultima from the bottom, I have to push incredibly hard to get past each joint between sections. Enough so that I worry about accidentally disconnecting the sections. I think I'll switch to something like BB's before the next cleaning.

fossil said:

Fossil, can't you just push the brushes up from the stove up and down and just sweep from there?

Status
Not open for further replies.