1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chimney Sweep -How much to pay ?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by leaf4952, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaf4952

leaf4952 Member

Loc:
    The Pocono Mountains upper plateau area, PA
    How much should a chimney sweep cost ? The chimney sweeper just left my house. He twice mentioned the front office must like me because they haven't charged $89 in a long time and that they are charging $130 usually. I SAID: it must be because I live close by to them, and because they canceled on me last year and left me stranded, and because THEY installed the brand new heavy gauge stainless stove pipe for $300 2 yrs ago and said it would make their job a breeze, and because I didn't want the whole sticking the camera down the chimney drama (they actually try to pitch you a package service when you first call- that includes all that !). I don't know if he was hinting for a tip or what. He said there was hardly any build up. I told him it hasn't been cleaned in the 2 yrs of the stove pipes life except for 1 sweep log last winter and I use my stove ALL THE TIME ! I try to burn it hot and it IS a Huntsman 241 which has a double chamber with a permanant tilted pipe in it which supposedly drips the creo back into the stove to reburn it. It took him a half hr. to do the work and there was absolutely no mess on him or my house. Even after vacumming the inside of the stove. So what should a chimney sweep cost ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    $130 is pretty close to what I paid a couple years ago. I don't remember if they did one flue or 2 for that $$$.

I mean- I can't think of any handy/trade type job that "the guy" will do a housecall for less than $100. Counting their time, overhead, and vehicle- they aren't making much on $89 to be sure.
  3. leaf4952

leaf4952 Member

Loc:
    The Pocono Mountains upper plateau area, PA
    Thank you for your reply. I did not push the office girl for a lower price. She simply offered it up immediatly after she learned THEY installed the pipe and that I lived one town over from them. And I certainly did not complain whan the man was here. I thanked him for his knowledge. He said I was doing a good job for a begginer. I thanked him again but did not tip him (unfortunately I had no cash home anyway).If they charge $100 next time I will not complain. Thanks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.