Chimney sweep just left

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartracer

Jan 5, 2009
Vale NC
I've had my bis ultima for a little over year in our new house.Finally,got a certified sweep to come clean it out and check every thing.There was almost no buildup and recommended cleaning every two years at the rate the buildup was.Isn't that a little strange a sweep not recommending every year?There wasn't enough build up to fill a drink can,but I've probably only burnt 2 cords of wood thru it.

kartracer said:
I've had my bis ultima for a little over year in our new house.Finally,got a certified sweep to come clean it out and check every thing.There was almost no buildup and recommended cleaning every two years at the rate the buildup was.Isn't that a little strange a sweep not recommending every year?There wasn't enough build up to fill a drink can,but I've probably only burnt 2 cords of wood thru it.
Well - at least sounds like you've found an honest sweep? Perhaps have the sweep come out for a check after the next full year - if he doesn't need to sweep - saves you a little cash - if needed, you'll now what a full season of burning means for creosote forming in your particular setup. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Well - at least sounds like you've found an honest sweep?

Aren't they all? (P-ssssst... aren't there lots of sweeps that contribute to this board?) ;-)

The guy my landlord pays once a year was cleaning out the second flue three years running. It leads to our fireplace... that we hadn't used for four years before that.

Congrats on your clean burning. Around here, I believe we need an annual inspection... whether it gets cleaned or not. Who knows what may take up residence in there?

Does anybody really know where Santa goes in the summer?

As far as heating,it will run you out of the greatroom/kitchen area which is one big room.I've only used it for supplementary heat.The coldest it has gotten since the install was in the low teens and still felt the need to open a window at times.The extreme ends of the house will get several degrees cooler,but running the heatpumps fan helps circulate it some.My house is about 2400 sq feet.I knew it wouldn't heat all of it when I bought it.If the power ever goes out for awhile I know I know I can keep a large amount of the house warm.It's also nice if you want to have a fire similar to a standard fireplace,just put in the screen and leave the door open.

Battenkiller said:
NH_Wood said:
Well - at least sounds like you've found an honest sweep?

Aren't they all? (P-ssssst... aren't there lots of sweeps that contribute to this board?) ;-)

Sorry - wasn't suggesting sweeps were shady! Just nice to hear of honest folks regardless of job! Cheers!

Kartracer I know I am off subject but what type of karts do you race sprints, enduros,or dirt and at what tracks

I actually just started back racing this year because my 12 yr old son started last year.We race dirt in nc,sc tn,ga.It's changed a lot since I quit about 6 years ago.The only way I could figure these new karts and tire chemicals out was to do it myself.

kartracer said:
I actually just started back racing this year because my 12 yr old son started last year.We race dirt in nc,sc tn,ga.It's changed a lot since I quit about 6 years ago.The only way I could figure these new karts and tire chemicals out was to do it myself.
I started in sprints 18 years ago and have been running laydown enduros for the last 10 years at road america,road atlanta, mid ohio, putnam park indiana, blackhawk farms and gateway here in the st louis area.

Those laydowns are fast.If you get a chance checkout Thanksgiving thunder in Carnesville GA.I know on youtube there's one or two videos.This year was classic.I broke my collarbone and some ribs,that's how I met my wife many years ago,after I gave up motocross after breaking my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.