Chimney Sweep, see the results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I sweep the chimney last weekend. I do a top down. The chimney is about 20’, straight into the back of the stove. I got about the same amount as the years in the past, have never measured how much. I was surprised it was 4, 1/2 cups of dry thin chips. The chips are 1/16 thick. The first few years of burning the uninsulated cap would be gooey mess. This year the cap was full of the same same dry chips. I think this is due to dryer wood and hotter shoulder season burns.

Attachments

• Total sweep 20111001-00127.jpg
    Total sweep 20111001-00127.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 412
  • 2 cup 20111001-00128.jpg
    2 cup 20111001-00128.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 454
That's a good improvement. Dry wood really makes a difference. How many cords did you burn last year?

We burn part time, at our cabin, weekends, Friday night thru Sunday and a few full time weeks during the winter. About 2 1/2 cords a year. I sweep once a year in the fall.

Tom

I did mine yesterday. Got about the same volume as you did but mine was a brown powder vs the black chips/chunks

Does your spouse know you borrowed the measuring cup? ;) :)

Brown is much better to see than black.

firefighterjake said:

Pfft...now I know where the hell my measuring cup went last winter.... >:-( I will hide it real good this year....in the cabinet with the pots and pans... :mad: :lol:

No she doesn't know, and I don't think I'm going to show her the picture. I thought about it but It was for documenting the wood stove, how could that be wrong. That's 2 cups in there.

GAMMA RAY said:
firefighterjake said:

Pfft...now I know where the hell my measuring cup went last winter.... >:-( I will hide it real good this year....in the cabinet with the pots and pans... :mad: :lol:

If your husband is anything like me, he has no idea where that is in the house......:)

Wife last week: "I need a measuring cup. There was a two cup plastic one in the cabinet back when I was cooking."

Me: "Yeah, and it has been being used to measure oil for chainsaw gas mix for six years now. Want it?"

Wife: "No. Buy me a measuring cup when you are in town."

Status
Not open for further replies.