Chimney sweep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

So the only certified chimney sweep in my area said he is wayyy to busy to come clean out my chimney. The only reason I wanted him is because my chimney is 7 feet above the roofline on the side of my house (lowest part of the truss) and he has a cherry picker to help reach. Since the slope of the roof is a little steep, getting a ladder to stay is not easy. ON another note, the sweep seems to be a fool! He said " You have an EPA stove, you have nothing to worry about". He knows nothing about my burning habits. Good thing I burn dry wood.

So I was able to get my head under my T (chimney is outdoors and wood stove is in the basement) and look up. There's a fine lining of dry/brown looking deposits on the side of the chimney and that's about it. That being said, I still want to sweep it. So I have 2 questions:

1- Would a chimney support my leaning into it on a steep angle (most weight on the roof)? The chimney is a class A with a brace.

2- Would a soot eater get around a 90 degree bend in the T (I don't think so but I just wanted to confirm).

Thanks a ton
Andrew

Sounds to me like you are a great candidate for a sooteater. Yes, the sooteater will get around a 90 degree bend.

Mine goes through a 90, an offset in the flue, and all the 32 feet to the cap. One of the better investments I have made.

The rods are very flexible. With a little manipulation it can easily be done. I think you will be very happy with the equipment. Depending on the length of your run, you may have to buy additional rods (it only comes with 18' of rod). My roof is almost a 40 foot drop from the peak at the chimney, so I do not go up there.

If for some reason you are not able to get around the 90' you could always clean the horizontal from inside and then clean the outer pipe from the bottom. If you can get your head under to take a look up, you most certainly can get the sooteater up there.

Many people here use the sooteater, and I would say the vast majority of them are happy with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.