Chimney Sweepin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame On

Sep 25, 2008
Southeast PA
I bought a 6 inch poly brush for my 6 inch SS flexible liner. The liner was ovalized a bit to get it through my existing masonry chimney. I got about 6 feet down from the top before I couldn't push anymore. Went inside and saw maybe a quarter cup of soot in the ash pan of my insert.
Decided to trim a half inch off the bristles of the brush. Went back up. This time I got the brush about 17 feet down the chimney. I could hear alot of scraping and there was definitely some resistance as I pushed it down. As I pulled it back up I gave it a little up and down scrubbing. When I went back in there was very little in the ash pan.
So my question... Is it possible the soot was getting hung up on a bend? The chimney is about 22 feet. The SS liner goes through an existing damper from a traditional fireplace before getting into the terra cotta liner. The reason I stopped at 17 feet was because I met enough resistance on the poles that I couldn't force the brush down anymore. I jammed my shop vac hose as high as I could up the chimney from the inside, but I didn't really get anymore soot.

Definitely. Bends can causr alot of "resistance" for both the brush and the soot your sweeping out. Not always, but often enough areas with a bend will have more buildup than other areas of the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.