Chimney sweeping advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfx

Dec 8, 2010
NY
Hi all,
I'm new to wood stoves and have been burning my alderlea T4 for a month now pretty much 24/7. I ran up on the roof today and noticed that the chimney cap had some sticky black tar on it. I removed the cap and noticed that the pipe is covered inside with black soot and similar tar. Id like to sweep it myself monthly just to keep it clean as the wood I'm burning is questionable on the seasoning. I have 6" double wall pipe about 14' in length (from stove to cap) there are two slight elbows to navigate around the roof ridge. I have very easy access to my roof. Any advice on equipment and technique? Is it best to disconnect the pipe from the stove and push the soot down into a bag? I wasn't home for the stove installation but my wife said the installer had a very hard time fitting the double wall pipe together. Is there an easier way or does the pipe need to be disconnected from the stove?
Thanks again,
Mike

There should be a pin holding in the baffle in the back. Pull that pin, drop the baffle (careful, it's heavy) and you should have a clean shot from top of the flue to the stove.

It could be that the wood you are burning is a little damp or that you are burning the stove a bit too cool. This stove likes dry wood and stove top temps in the 600+ range at full burn. Try giving it a little more air if the temps are lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.