chimney sweeping damage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you push the brush too far and bust up you baffle.....mine has a bracket welded on to the collar so you can't and baffle is made of ceramic fiber.

Is there any damage that can be done by sweeping your chimney?

Aggressively using too stiff of a steel brush in a flexible stainless liner can cause rips or the seams to open. Maybe not the first or second time but eventually. Especially if the brush is too large for the liner.

I use a nylon brush on my SS liners...

KaptJaq

Reactions: etiger2007
Yes you can cause some damage. Both the things mentioned above are probably the biggest concerns. We have a local chimney sweep we jokingly call Baffle Busters Chimney Service. I have had to replace a few, a few in Hearthstones and at least one Jotul.

uh oh....while cleaning mine this fall, I noticed about half way down my brush seemed to be a loose fit, and then tightened back up when I went down another foot or so.....I was thinking there may be a seperation somewhere in the middle, but thought ..."nah, how could that be"....and never shined a light down there to look due to all the ash filling the flue

uh oh....while cleaning mine this fall, I noticed about half way down my brush seemed to be a loose fit, and then tightened back up when I went down another foot or so.....I was thinking there may be a seperation somewhere in the middle, but thought ..."nah, how could that be"....and never shined a light down there to look due to all the ash filling the flue

I know what you are going to be up to today <>

Short answer is yes. There are definitely several opportunities to mess up a chimney cleaning, and to mess up the house too. What type of chimney or liner do you have JCass?

I have a ~15ft SS flex liner run down an exterior chimney. My main concern is separating the junctions within the SS liner.

Burn clean dry wood and use a poly brush. Should be ok.

poly brush - I also (now) make sure I remove the temp probe in the stove pipe first (don't laugh...)...

Status
Not open for further replies.