Chimney sweeping from the bottom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
I have an insert with a full story liner. I ws lamenting climbing up ont he roof to sweep the chimney, and a guy at work (who's right about half the time) said why not just sweep if from the bottom.

Never tried it, never heard of it, anyone done it? It's a cat stove burning good dry wood, so there shouldn't be too much crud, but it sounds a little flaky.

Thanks.
Steve

actually this would be a good wiki. can people reply and tell the others how to properly clean/sweep a chimney? how to clean a stainless steel cap, what kind of filter to use for the shop vac, etc?

I sweep mine from the bottom. I use a rutland 6" round brush and 15' of fiberglass flex. No need to go on the roof.

paulgp602 said:
I sweep mine from the bottom. I use a rutland 6" round brush and 15' of fiberglass flex. No need to go on the roof.

Same here.

Installed a Tee this year which makes it easy to clean.

My neighbor has a clean out T and cleans her's from the bottom. For my insert, plus the needed offset adapter I couldn't make it happen with rods. I could have pulled the brush up or down with the rope approach though.

What occurred to me is that if all you have in the liner is fly ash as I did, really a chimney brush is as effective as what I think I could come up with on my own. I'd bet a peice of 1/4 inch cable put into a drill with a bunch of cloth, or something like weed wacker string tied to it. Zip ties all along it? shove it down the pipe and move it up and down. I'm sure would do a better job than even the brush did. Would get into the nooks and crannies of the pipe. (I've got a Simpson duravent liner)

Warren said:
My neighbor has a clean out T and cleans her's from the bottom. For my insert, plus the needed offset adapter I couldn't make it happen with rods. I could have pulled the brush up or down with the rope approach though.

What occurred to me is that if all you have in the liner is fly ash as I did, really a chimney brush is as effective as what I think I could come up with on my own. I'd bet a peice of 1/4 inch cable put into a drill with a bunch of cloth, or something like weed wacker string tied to it. Zip ties all along it? shove it down the pipe and move it up and down. I'm sure would do a better job than even the brush did. Would get into the nooks and crannies of the pipe. (I've got a Simpson duravent liner)

Or like Elk uses. A ball of chicken wire.

"Let's see. $2,000 for the stove. $1,200 for the liner. Heck, I ain't payin $13 for no brush at ACE hardware. Somebody tell me where I can get me some chicken wire and a hunka clothes line."

Darn, that's what it was. I couldn't remember what it was the Elk (or whoever it was) used. Maybe next year I'll "invent" something. Patent Pending :)

30 years burning two stoves using chicken wire worked for me I use the same ball of chicken wire since day one. I drop down a decent rope with a 5 lb weight that acts as a big washer. If my wife is home we can do the push pull threw the chimney I can streech out the chicken wire ball to create more friction = better cleaning.

elkimmeg said:
30 years burning two stoves using chicken wire worked for me I use the same ball of chicken wire since day one. I drop down a decent rope with a 5 lb weight that acts as a big washer. If my wife is home we can do the push pull threw the chimney I can streech out the chicken wire ball to create more friction = better cleaning.

But those are tile lined chimneys aren't they Elk? I think the wire would be better in clay but a brush better in a liner.

BrotherBart said:
elkimmeg said:

But those are tile lined chimneys aren't they Elk? I think the wire would be better in clay but a brush better in a liner.

yes clay lined rectangllar 8/8

Status
Not open for further replies.