Chimney Sweeping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucksandreds

Aug 31, 2016
Ohio
Is sweeping from the bottom up with a brush on a wood burning stove insert liner adequate? I would rather clean my chimney myself but don't want to climb 25 feet up so I would like to use a brush with flexible rods to try to do it. Not asking if this is the best way. Just asking if this is effective at removing creosote.

Thank you

Sweep from the top or the bottom. Doesn't matter. Many of us like using a Sooteater to clean from the bottom.

I'm going to make one of these out of some cheap PCV pipe lengths and weedwacker string.
I would bet you will be close to the $50 making one out of pvc and I doubt it will hold up as long. Also the threaded connections of the pvc will lock up and be hard to take apart after cleaning

But to answer the origonal question yes sweeping from the bottom can be very effective the only issue is you cant see much of the liner to tell if you have gotten it clean. And when using a brush you don't really clean the cap much at all. Rotary cleaners are much better at that.

I would bet you will be close to the $50 making one out of pvc and I doubt it will hold up as long. Also the threaded connections of the pvc will lock up and be hard to take apart after cleaning
1" gray underground pvc is less than $2 for a 10' length..and I only need to do 20'. I'll join them with small hardware.

1" gray underground pvc is less than $2 for a 10' length..and I only need to do 20'. I'll join them with small hardware.
Make sure you cut them down to 2.5 feet or so there is no way you would be able to run a rotary cleaner with 10' rods. Also what hardware do you plan on using? make sure there is nothing sticking out at all if there is you could damage the liner.

Sweeping from the bottom is acceptable, only issue is, you're neglecting to inspect the top areas of your liner installation, crown, cap, etc. If something were to happen, your annual inspection of the entire system will likely save you lots of money in the long run.

Sweeping from the bottom is acceptable, only issue is, you're neglecting to inspect the top areas of your liner installation, crown, cap, etc. If something were to happen, your annual inspection of the entire system will likely save you lots of money in the long run.
We typically go to the top on any that are feasible to get to the top of every 3 years for inspection. We also now have a drone for the ones that are a pain.

For me the issue with bottom up cleaning, was the pro sweep didn't get the plugged cap screen clean. He did have a flat brush and real flexible rods. I have a ladder system I built that gets onto the roof. It takes trial and error, but you should learn to do it yourself. You will sleep better knowing what it looks like in there.

I can clean any round cap from the bottom. Problem only arises when there's a rectangular multi flue cap that's installed. Makes it kind of hard or next to impossible, especially with heavy buildup.

I can clean any round cap from the bottom. Problem only arises when there's a rectangular multi flue cap that's installed. Makes it kind of hard or next to impossible, especially with heavy buildup.
Very true that is why we dont put multi flues of chimneys that are really difficult to get to the top of very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.