Chimney sweeping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeanne

Hello all.

We are new to modern wood stove inserts. When we swept our chimney with the old Buck stove insert, the debris fell onto the top of the stove and behind the stove and we pulled the stove out and shop vacuumed it up.

Our new wood stove insert has a stainless steel chimney attached to it, which goes up the old chimney. So..my husband and son swept our chimneys yesterday and I heard all the debris falling, but we don't know where it went.

The pipe goes straight from the stove up the chimney. We figured the debris would come down into the wood stove.

We feel stupid. I would appreciate any help. This is embarrassing.

Hello all.

We are new to modern wood stove inserts. When we swept our chimney with the old Buck stove insert, the debris fell onto the top of the stove and behind the stove and we pulled the stove out and shop vacuumed it up.

Our new wood stove insert has a stainless steel chimney attached to it, which goes up the old chimney. So..my husband and son swept our chimneys yesterday and I heard all the debris falling, but we don't know where it went.

The pipe goes straight from the stove up the chimney. We figured the debris would come down into the wood stove.

We feel stupid. I would appreciate any help. This is embarrassing.
What stove is it?

From inside the stove find the exhaust into the chimney. Depends on the stove. My guess it's above the burn plates to the back of the stove. What stove? I'm sure someone here has one.

Also, FWIW, the manual should detail how to go about sweeping /cleaning. If you don’t still have it, it’s likely online.

I have a high valley 1500 8" ss liner from stove straight up chimney, when i sweep i leave the door closed and most of the stuff falls inside the stove and i vacuum it out,i only get little build up on the upper end of the liner.

I have a similar question. Am I supposed to remove the burn plate prior to the chimney being swept so all the debris goes into the stove, or is it ok to leave the burn plate in place.

I have a similar question. Am I supposed to remove the burn plate prior to the chimney being swept so all the debris goes into the stove, or is it ok to leave the burn plate in place.
What stove do you have

Hello all.

Yup, it was on top of the burn plates and is now in the stove. It is a Hampton H1300, by the way. The instructions in the manual only suggest getting a "competent chimney sweep" to do the job.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. Now we know. The only problem we have experienced with this stove is the main one that many with this stove have; the draft control rod rattles.

Anybody figured out how to stop this? We place something against it, but that doesn't always work well.

-Jeanne

Page 13 of the manual shows how to install the baffle over the secondary tubes. Removal is the reverse.

Anybody figured out how to stop this? We place something against it, but that doesn't always work well.
Maybe try a small magnet against the rod where it enters the stove?

Last edited:
Some people run a brush down the chimney too far and stab it through the baffle board.

Some people run a brush down the chimney too far and stab it through the baffle board.
Yes that is why i always pull the baffle