Chimney sweeping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
This my first year burning wood after a 15 year break. I cleaned my s/s insulated chimney once top down,(Chrimas week) once bottom up(today). I get small flakey creosote which goes up and out of the top of the chimney and lands on the roof, the deck and on the lawn. I read posts where guys are measuring how much creosote they cleaned out...quart, gallon etc. Am I doing something wrong? There isn't anything coming out of the cleanout. When I remove the cap on the cleanout before I sweep there is about a cup of "flakes". Everything seems to go out the top when I clean.
Thank you for your help and thanks for this site which has really helped me get through this burning season. :)

From your description it sounds like your doing everything OK imo

Yep, I check mine monthly and have been burning since Sept. I burn 24/7 from Nov till spring...I have yet to sweep, I will check it this weekend when the weather is nice and maybe run a bruck thru it...maybe not? We have had really cold weather so my guess is there is finally some buildup. 20 below will do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.