Chimney swept yesterday, fire seems different today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vixster

Nov 20, 2010
Rockland Co , ny
Greetings Burners!
We have been burning for heat even the the weather has been in the 40/50's. The stove has been our only heat source. Monday, we had a mild day so I swept the chimney. The fire seems to be different now. The flames are for sure roaring more; even when I shut down some (1/3-1/2). Can sweeping effect burning? Can I have damaged something? Would not closing the clear out create additional draft? (even tho I believe clear out is tightly shut) Or is it because it's very cold out and it's creating a draft that I haven't seen since last year and I'm just being paranoid! It so seems that it's getting a lot more air/draft. Therefore, really roaring. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

The cold will definitely give you more draft. If the clean out were open, I'd suspect less draft.

Another possibility was that the chimney cap had some build up on it that was swept away and now the appliance is venting better. If you cleaned bottom up and didn't look at the cap closely, then that is a distinct possibility.

Good move on doing the cleaning. Always better safe than sorry.

pen

Pen, thanks for the reply. Even as it has burned down to coals, the flames are rapidly moving up and I'm seeing sparking flying about. I put in four splits in and in 1.5 hours they are large coals... It's strange, I think I'll check the door casket when I open the door.

If the flue was significantly clogged then cleaning it would increase the draft. Did you get a lot of stuff out of the chimney? If there was only a little buildup then maybe the change in draft is just coincidence, not related to the cleaning.

I think you are right, it's a coincidence! A bunch of junk flew out as I was cleaning! but not a coffee can full! Thanks again for your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.