Chimney Temp guage for insert stoves - would this work (pic)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnor

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
I've really missed not having a thermometer to view flue temps on my insert, so I've been looking into what would work. Certainly someone in industry has a method of monitoring temps of hot steel, or actual corrosive gases, as part of an industrial process.

I came across the guage type in the attached pic, and wonder if a unit like this would work, and what I might expect to pay. I have tried to speak with the supply houses, but most only know how to sell you the part by the part number, vice figure out if what they have will work.

Any idea if this would work for an insert? They (Ashcroft) even sell units that have the ability to sound an alarm if the temp gets to high. Here is the link to the pdf of what they make - http://www.ashcroft.com/library/duratemptherm_bul.pdf

Certainly there is a nice looking solution at a reasonable price out there(under $100). Any thoughts?

Attachments

• temp guage.bmp
    48.1 KB · Views: 501
I've got a 2004-2005 Grainger catalog. An Ashcroft Duratemp Gas-Actuated Thermometer is listed for $334. (Page 1173) Remote mounted, phenolic snap ring surround on a 5 foot line with range of 50-550.

The catalog listing is slim. They could probably get other setups and ranges. They are obviously very nicely made, unfortunately, as my buddy pointed out...

"I thought the idea was to save money."

Edit:

Results of some dinking around:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

Might this work?

I think that gauge would probably work but I think you could do better with a electronic digital gauge instead.
Here are some pics of my setup on my recently installed Regency F1100.
These are two different versions of temperature monitors that I built .
The monitor on the left is for stove top temperature, it has a magnetic mount thermocouple on the center of the top of the stove.
The one on the right is for for flue gas temperature, it thermocouple probe inserted in the double wall pipe.
Both monitors have high temp alarms that will beep if the temperature goes above a given set point.
A really nice feature especially if you burn dry wood like pallets, etc. There is also a low temperature alarm that can be set to signal
when the temperature drops below a given set point to let you know it's time to reload the stove.
An interesting feature is how much and how fast the flue gas temperature varies with the position of the air control.
Perhaps I will make a video and post it.

While my setup is a freestanding stove I see no reason this could not work for an insert.

Attachments

• Picture 169.jpg
    Picture 169.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 467
  • Picture 170.jpg
    Picture 170.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 467
WES999 said:
I think that gauge would probably work but I think you could do better with a electronic digital gauge instead.
Here are some pics of my setup on my recently installed Regency F1100.
These are two different versions of temperature monitors that I built .
The monitor on the left is for stove top temperature, it has a magnetic mount thermocouple on the center of the top of the stove.
The one on the right is for for flue gas temperature, it thermocouple probe inserted in the double wall pipe.
Both monitors have high temp alarms that will beep if the temperature goes above a given set point.
A really nice feature especially if you burn dry wood like pallets, etc. There is also a low temperature alarm that can be set to signal
when the temperature drops below a given set point to let you know it's time to reload the stove.
An interesting feature is how much and how fast the flue gas temperature varies with the position of the air control.
Perhaps I will make a video and post it.

While my setup is a freestanding stove I see no reason this could not work for an insert.
Details! We want details!. :)

Seriously, I NEED something like this. I've sent way to much heat up the chimney because I've walked away from the stove and forgot about closing the damper to engage the cat. Plus, it would help my wife, who although she loves the warmth and atmosphere of the insert, has not the interest in learning the fine art of burning wood.

How did you make these? Where can I get the parts. Please tell!

You might search (Google)to see what the kiln hobbyists use... they worry a lot more about temperature than we do, and are similarly budget minded.

Here for example is a kiln pyrometer that I've mentioned previously. I have no experience with it, and don't know if anyone here has tried it, but at least from the description it should do the trick:

http://www.tracysworkshop.com/p-19275-digital-pyrometer.aspx?affiliateid=10050

If you want a look at what industrial folks use for temperature measurement, look up Omega.com.

Eddy

As for the thermocouple, I've been looking at type J or K thermocouple to go inside the flue, if you want an actual gas temp. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong please) that a Type K will still work if it was used to measure pipe temp, then it's just a matter of deciding what readout system you want.

That is where I have my problem - getting a readout that is nice to look at and functional. I'll look into the aircraft EGT guages tomorrow, and let you know what I find out.

oconnor said:
I think I've found it!!!!!

Apparently, small aircraft guys like to know how hot the exhaust is too. A Westach EGT with probe will run me about $60 for the guage, then add a thermocouple. No data logging, but a nice guage with probe for under $100.

More to follow.

Look at the Omega, it is a few bucks more but it has a built in alarm and runs on 110VAC the Westach I assume runs on 12 VDC.

oconnor said:
As for the thermocouple, I've been looking at type J or K thermocouple to go inside the flue, if you want an actual gas temp. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong please) that a Type K will still work if it was used to measure pipe temp, then it's just a matter of deciding what readout system you want.

That is where I have my problem - getting a readout that is nice to look at and functional. I'll look into the aircraft EGT guages tomorrow, and let you know what I find out.

Ether a J of K will work, the controllers I used are selectable for the type of thermocouple you have.

WES999 said:
oconnor said:
I think I've found it!!!!!

Apparently, small aircraft guys like to know how hot the exhaust is too. A Westach EGT with probe will run me about $60 for the guage, then add a thermocouple. No data logging, but a nice guage with probe for under $100.

More to follow.

Look at the Omega, it is a few bucks more but it has a built in alarm and runs on 110VAC the Westach I assume runs on 12 VDC.

The Westach actually doesn't need power at all, which I like. No light, but no extra wires. I figure I'll mount it in a nice case and set it on the mantle. Only the wire that runs down the wall to go behind the surround will show.

But so far, just a dream. Will call around tomorrow to a few light aircraft shops and see what I might be able to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.