CHIMNEY TEMP OF A FACTORY CLASS "A" QUESTION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fisherman

Nov 3, 2007
NJ
What is the normal temp of a Class "A" chimney 2 pipes with the white mineral powder in between? Should I be able to touch the outside of the pipe or should it be luke warm? I read the temp with an infrared therm and it measures 165Deg F

Can anyone help?

Paint a spot with flat black stove paint (the finish is normally shiny stainless steel). You will get a more accurate reading off of this spot than off of the stainless steel. Else use a contact thermometer. In a typical install with about 6' of stove pipe prior to the class A, I have been able to touch the class A without being burnt. Is the run of stovepipe is much shorter, then the first section of Class A will be hotter.

We had an earlier post about this - the allowed temps are VASTLY hotter than what you are measuring, like up at 400 degrees or more! This is because it is usually 2" from a combustible, so the combustible never gets very hot. Just for a rule of thumb, the wood around such a pipe should not exceed around 170, a temp I'm sure it never gets NEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.