Chimney through eave peak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyG11

Oct 15, 2016
Ithaca, NY
Hi All!

I'm planning the install of my 8" Duravent chimney and wanted to get your thoughts on cutting out the eave peak to allow for the chimney to pass through, thereby avoiding another $750 in parts to do the jog around it. The eaves are 14" out from the building and the OD of the pipe is 10". There are windows below and on either side of the peak that I don't want to block with the chimney (otherwise, I'd just shift the pipe to one side or the other).

I figure the main challenge will be making this look good in the end but would you advise against it for other reasons?

THANKS!

You will need 14" to fit the pipe through with clearance. You could cut the fly rafter and box it in. I'd prefer that over a set of elbows way up in the air. Many class A manufacturers don't allow an offset outside anyway.

Reactions: Love the Heat
I just did some reframing in my attic to ensure my chimney setup is a straight run. A lot of people advised me that was the best option and I am really glad I went that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.