chimney through the window? is this legal if done correctly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseykat1

Dec 19, 2010
North NJ
considering another wood burning appliance but this time in the basement (thinking gasifier) and i would need to install a flue system for it, So instead of having a hole put through the foundation would i be able to put the flue through an existing window and just seal the window off around it with cement and such. Dont mind losing a window in my basement. Is this something that is allowed? BTW the windows are slightly below ground.

Perhaps more important than what is safe and legal is what your local code enforcement officer thinks. I'd start there because their opinion is what counts in the end.

Right, always check with the code guys. A window is just a hole in the wall. If you maintain your clearances you can close the window off, turn it back into a "wall" and now you just doin a wall pass thru.

I would definitely talk with your local code office if you are looking for the "legal" answer, but once every piece of the window is taken out, IE everything combustable, its litterally a hole in the wall, so there wouldnt be any issues as long as you follow code for clearance.

Anyone who thinks that if you do everything safely and according to the common interpretation of code you don't need to consult the CEO hasn't met some of the code enforcement officers I've heard about.

i doubt you will have the ceiling clearance required, ask your insurance company, they are god when there is a claim

Status
Not open for further replies.