Chimney through wall question concerning offsets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Richards

May 21, 2013
Southwest Minnesota
Where my chimney exits the exterior wall there is an overhanging smaller roof that I need to go around before I can run the chimney up to the soffit and through the roof.I plan on using a 15 degree bend at the chimney support with a 3 foot section of pipe and then another 15 degree bend to straighten it back up. My question is I have read that you can have no more than two 90 degree bends in your chimney from stove to cap. Does this mean I cant have more than 180 degrees of total bend in the chimney system or does it just mean you cant have three 90 degree bends.

A pair of 15 deg offsets should be ok. Are the 90s on the connector and then at the tee? If so that is pretty common. More important will be the total height from stove top to chimney cap of the flue system.

Reactions: DexterDay
A pair of 15 deg offsets should be ok. Are the 90s on the connector and then at the tee? If so that is pretty common. More important will be the total height from stove top to chimney cap of the flue system.
Yep, there will be a 90 degree bend in the stovepipe to the class A chimney. Then the T section then the 15 degree bends. Total height of system will be approx 22'. Does this sound OK?

Yes, that sounds like it should work ok. Not perfect, but also not untypical. If you want to improve it a bit, use two 45s on the interior with a short connector to soften the interior 90. Be sure to brace the exterior piping well.

Status
Not open for further replies.