Chimney thru metal roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to it. Easy peasy using the previously mentioned Excel flashing. This one fit right under the ridge cap. A few screws and a bunch of silicone to finish up.

2013-07-14_12-22-41_32.jpg

Be aware that it doesn't fit Supervent pipe anywhere near tight. That gap took a bunch of silicone to fill. It is also pretty short, and since this is a weekend place, I am anticipating snow up past the flashing. We'll find out how good I did sealing it up.

I have some pics from webby3650 from one of his installs, showing how he cut it into the roofing. If anyone is interested, I'll try to repost them.

If you're not sure, it would be wise to hire a professional so you don't damage the roofing. It is tricky to get the hole in the right spot.
They make a laser tool that fits right in your stove thimble or chimney pipe, projects a laser dot in the center on you roof or ceiling, so you know exactly where to cut.. i think I paid 100 dollars for mine, comes with 4-6 and 8 inch adapters . Takes the guess work out of where to cut the hole.

You are going to install a storm collar on that right?

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
You are going to install a storm collar on that right?

I did. After I notched out the bottom of the flashing, screwed it down, and caulked it. I'm not sure it's totally necessary since this flashing isn't ventilated, but it is an extra measure of protection.

This has nothing to do with ventilation. A storm collar that is silicone sealed on the top rim is essential. Without it you will see leaks.

Reactions: PapaDave
Where did you notch the flashing at? And why?
Storm collars are standard procedure.
Without them, as pointed out, you are very vulnerable to leaks.
And the collar must be caulked with good caulk where it meets around the pipe.

I'm guessing he meant here:

notch.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.