chimney tile breaker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Has anyone used a chimney tile breaker such as a Ro-Clean? To install a 6" insulated flex liner I would need to remove the existing chimney tile as the ID is 7x7".. I would think it would be best to remove the liner all the way to the cellar and totals about 30' top to bottom.. This would all need to be done from the top of the chimney as the cleanout is close to the floor in the cellar.. It would be better if this could be rented as I would probably never need it again.. Still weighing my options here..

Ray

I think these things will work - although you might find it just as easy to break them out using a long pry bar for the top 10 or 12 feet.

These things break up quite easily - usually - exception being if they are really embedded in cement......but they are usually not so.

Of course, your other option would be to use a 6" rigid liner (smaller OD) and then fill up the small space around it with a pourable mix - wet or even dry (if available).
There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups - for instance, if you are going to break out the tiles you want to be very certain that the chimney outside structure is VERY sound....since you will be disturbing it quite a bit.

Webmaster said:
I think these things will work - although you might find it just as easy to break them out using a long pry bar for the top 10 or 12 feet.

These things break up quite easily - usually - exception being if they are really embedded in cement......but they are usually not so.

Of course, your other option would be to use a 6" rigid liner (smaller OD) and then fill up the small space around it with a pourable mix - wet or even dry (if available).
There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups - for instance, if you are going to break out the tiles you want to be very certain that the chimney outside structure is VERY sound....since you will be disturbing it quite a bit.

Never considered that option Craig and it deserves merit.. The big concern would be dropping it down the chimney so I would have to be extra careful if I did this.. I did check out Rockford and they have a laser welded seam on their rigid pipe and it looked like a good product.. The insurance inspector will be here soon and I hope to get an answer then...

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.