Chimney Troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miketrueba

Dec 14, 2010
Idaho
I am new to woodstoves and we just had a Pacific Energy Vista Classic installed in our house. The chimney system was inspected and checked out good and we are supposed to be good to go. The issue I am having is (probably with my knowledge) the venting of the woodstove. Prior to lighting I have been opening the flu all the way, but it seems that even when I open it all the way the first 2 times I try to get the fire going the smoke is not clearing out of the firebox. If I walk away for a while then come back it vents perfectly and I have virtually no smokein the box. My question is, why is that? Do I need to "charge" the flu and leave it open for a while prior to lighting? Or am I having an issue with the material I am using to light the fire (newspaper). Any help on this would be great I have a few other questions but this would be a great start if you could point me in the right direction.

As a reference. Any and all info on your setup that you can give would help. Size and construction of Chimney and flue. Height and turns to the cap, etc.

Oh and welcome to the forum !!!!! Read, Learn, Burn.

1st- Welcome aboard!

2nd- there are a hundred threads here on lighting stoves. The search feature will take you to infinite wisdom, as well as some stupidity.

You want to have dry wood. Read up here on what dry wood is and isn't- it's maybe not as obvious as you'd guess.

Kindling is your friend- use it liberally.

I need to leave the door ajar (just barely) for at least a few minutes to get the fire ripping before closing it. This lets the flue heat up and gets the chimney drawing really well to suck enough air to support the fire.

Sounds as if the flue is just not creating a draft when you first light up. I have similar issue until that little flare-up of fire to start the draft. I know that with a fireplace you can light a piece of news paper and hold it up near the flue to as you said 'charge' the flue. My insert has baffle, not sure if it would work the same. but should in theory.

when there a good low pressure system outside i notice a harder time with the draft then on other days, seemingly windy days are good for me. When i am trying to get the fire going and smoke is the issue, i close the door a tad leaving a gap and blow on the fire. now here is the important part, blow from the bottom corner. try to blow from the top and you get a face/room full of smoke. i figure its much the same way the primary air comes in in the first place. I dont think Newspaper is particularly the problem, but you can always try a Super Cedar or comparable firestarter that can burn hotter and with less smoke then the paper to get that draft working right.

Thanks for the replies. I tried leaving the door open just a touch and that seemed to help quite a bit. We have been having some interesting low pressure issues lately and really dense air so that could play into some of the problem as well. I will give it a shot and see if some of these ideas will do the trick, I think it will. Thanks for the help I am sure I will be asking a whole lot more questions on here as I try to figure out this whole wood stove heat thing :)

Welcome to the forum Miketrueba.

Perhaps putting some wadded up newspaper in the stove and lighting that first will get some warmth into the chimney to give a better draw. Firestarters work great too and we have a member on this forum that sells Super Cedars. You can do a search for more information but just let me add that we've heated with wood over 50 years. This is our first year for using the super cedars and they are fantastic. My wife, in particular, has always had a difficult time starting a fire but she has done great this year using the super cedars. btw, they come as a round but we use only 1/4 of one to start the fires. If you use a whole one they burn a pretty good fire for about 1/2 hour. No, they are not expensive but you need to order in quantities. You might even email the fellow and he'll send you some samples. If you want more information and don't find it, just ask and I or someone else will provide the contact for you.

Good luck.

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1292364300"]Welcome to the forum Miketrueba.

You can do a search for more information but just let me add that we've heated with wood over 50 years.

You should have never told me that you have been doing this for so long, now I am going to become a nusance with endless questions! Thanks for the idea I appreciate it.

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1292364300"]Welcome to the forum Miketrueba.

You can do a search for more information but just let me add that we've heated with wood over 50 years.

You should have never told me that you have been doing this for so long, now I am going to become a nusance with endless questions! Thanks for the idea I appreciate it.

Hey Mike, become a nuisance all you want. lol That is why we are on the forum; to help others. There is a lot of collective wisdom on this forum from a lot of folks. Some are more knowledgeable in one area and others in another so don't be afraid to pick everyone's brain. Also keep in mind sometimes the guys like to kid around a bit too which only adds to the forum as it keeps things light rather than ugly. And don't be afraid to send me a PM any time you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.