Chimney ventilated flashing - is it necessary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobabuoy

Jan 26, 2011
IL
I have a single story house that now has a spray foam insulation on the interior roof of my attic. This means that my attic is now essentially a sealed room.

The chimney flashing on my roof is the ventilated type and I am wondering if it is required to use this or whether a non-ventilated version is available.

Will these small ventilation holes act somewhat as a chimney and produce a stack effect now that the attic is warm?

You would have to search the manufacturers web-site and see if one is available. It sounds like you have Super-vent pipe?
I don't see any issues with swapping flashings. But some people will get all bent out of shape for mentioning it. The truth is, in the real world it happens alot for various reasons.

Reactions: jeff_t
My current chimney is Hart & Cooley. On their web site all the flashings are ventilated. I might consider adding a chimney chase in the attic to separate that area corner area from the sealed portion of the attic.

Hart&Cooley makes Super-Vent. It would be best to use their flashing if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.