1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

chimney vibration

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by nrcrash, Nov 7, 2012.

1. nrcrash

nrcrash Member

Loc:
    MA
    After I fire up my Vigas 40, while flue temp is increasing between 220- 270 degrees (approximately). I get a deep humming sound. I installed a barometric damper because I though this would help but it continues to do it. Wasn't sure if this was normal if it is something I should be concerned with.....

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Humming?

Or rumbling?

Gassification produces a rumble - I kind of like it. :)

(That's the way it is here - so I hope it's normal...)
  3. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I've gotten a similar sound. I always thought it was right around when gasification starts. BUT... in my case I thought it was from the cardboard I'm using (wife's business generates a ton) was really roaring.

don't know

JP
  4. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I've had what I think you're describing. Happens on startup when there's a vigorous fire in the upper chamber and you switch to downdraft operation. I *think* what's happening is the flame front is switching from above the nozzle to below the nozzle, back and forth. This gets the air column in the chimney vibrating like a giant pipe organ. Not a gasification rumble - more like the helicopter of doom hovering over your chimney.

Increasing fan speed and/or primary air seems to solve it in my case.
  5. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    I liked the Helo of doom thing.............. LOL great explination!

TS