chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFord

Jun 5, 2011
central NC
I am working on laying out and ordering my chimney parts and don't know if I need single wall or double wall pipe. First off I will install a barometric damper at the back of the boiler then strait up about 8' through the roof then a 45 elbow 8' more feet then a 45 elbow then up about 12' where it will terminate about 3' above the main house roof. (think shed roof off main two story house with boiler under shed roof and chimney going above main house roof) Not sure if that makes sense but, my main question is about the double walled or single. The double wall is expensive and I don't want to use more that I have to. Also, where is a good place to order the chimney parts. Thanks

If you have that much exposed chimney pipe I would definitely recommend a double wall insulated chimney to keep flue temps up where they belong. Letting that chimney get cold enough to allow condensation will cause problems that will make you wish you never decided to burn wood.
No way to keep it straight outside?

I can go straight up I don't think I have any code issues, but I am just trying to get it up above the mail roof height.
I may have to go straight up due to the cost of the double walled pipe.

NC Ford, I ordered my my double wall pipe from Menards. They had the best prices I could find online. I purchased Selkirk Supervent for the chimney and Selkirk DSP for the run from the boiler to the chimney. They are both double wall. Some of the three foot sections did arrive dented in shipping however. I was able to pop out most of the dents with a suction cup.

Mike

Thanks Mike, Menards prices seem to be very fair. I think I need the Selkirk 8inch for mine which will go through the roof straight up. My plan now is to go straight up which is about 12 ', I will cost about $800 for all the materials, which includes the barometric damper. I was hoping to get by with less cost, but oh well!

Can you go to 7" chimney?

That's what mine is - it works for the new boiler, & worked for 17 years for the old one which had both oil & wood smoke pipes hooked up. The odd time they were both firing at once. Mine is about 32' straight up, inside.

I would imagine 7 would be cheaper than 8?

not sure, the specs for the econoburn say 8 inch, it might be worth a phone call though.

Your welcome NCFord. You might consider using the round clamps Supervent has to hold each chimney section together. I purchased one for each three foot section ar Lowes after looking at the frightening pictures of a fire one of our members had, if I remember correctly, due to a leak at one of his chimney pipe joints. Good luck with your installation.

Mike

Menards extended their 11% rebate promo thru April 6. Unfortunately not a cash rebate but an in-store voucher for something else down the road. I bought my chimney stuff from them four years ago and had good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.