chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iatrapper

Jan 27, 2014
Iowa
Has anyone priced a masonry chimney, chimney block, clay linner and a concrete footing compared to stainless steel double wall? Just materials no labor included. My buddies considering doing one of th 2 on his house, it would b run up the side of the house. Thanks

what is the interior size is chimney block? 8x8?
Only reason I ask is that different stoves require different flue sizes.

I don't know the cost for sure, but I do know this. A class A chimney will out last and out perform a masonry chimney any day. It's minimally invasive, most can be done in 1 day whereas a masonry can take a week or more and involve some pretty heavy footer work. Which results in a destroyed yard.
We installed 2 class A flues in a new home for the owner of a very reputable masonry company last year. He said he couldn't pay his guys and buy the materials any cheaper, so he went with SS chimney.
It only takes 1 chimney fire to bust that clay chimney flue, then a SS liner is needed. Class A can handle several small ones without damage. Is a no brainer for me!

Well without taking labor into account masonry with clay liner is way cheaper. But the performance is no comparison at all that is why on the rare occasion we build a masonry chimney we usually line it with ss right away the only time we don"t is when it is for coal. And when you take into account the cost of the masonry plus a ss liner the materials are close to the same if not a little more for the masonry chimney but the labor is allot more for masonry.

Reactions: webby3650
Well without taking labor into account masonry with clay liner is way cheaper. But the performance is no comparison at all that is why on the rare occasion we build a masonry chimney we usually line it with ss right away the only time we don"t is when it is for coal. And when you take into account the cost of the masonry plus a ss liner the materials are close to the same if not a little more for the masonry chimney but the labor is allot more for masonry.
I had no idea a clay linner performed so porley, i ve ben building chimney for years with clay linners and havent herd a bad thing about em, even ones we did 15 years ago r still going without problems. ive always ben the one doing the labor not the billing so have no idea on cost of material.

Last edited by a moderator:
had no idea a clay linner performed so porley, i ve ben building chimney for years with clay linners and havent herd a bad thing about em, even ones we did 15 years ago r still going without problems. ive always ben the one doing the labor not the billing so have no idea on cost of material.

Clay liners can preform ok and can last for a long time yes but more often than not when we replace a clay lined chimney with an insulated ss liner the customer says that they had no idea how much better there stove could work. We still work on many clay lined chimneys that work just fine but that does not mean that they could not work better. In addition i rarely see masonry chimneys that have the proper clearances to combustibles and the only way to fix that is with an insulated ss liner. I know that clay has been the standard for years and can work just fine but there are better solutions available now. Also how many of those 15 year old chimneys have you scanned with a camera? I would guess that a fair number of them would have problems like cracks or missing mortar.

Ive got a insulted ss chimney, actually 2. Just tryin to save my buddy some money but ill sure try an talk him in to a ss chimney. Thanks for all the info.

The cheapest material cost (and best performance) is when you can run the flue straight up through the house. But if that is not an option then I'd go for the stainless class A on the side of the house, especially if you and your buddy are reasonably handy and can follow directions well and DIY to save the labor costs. Besides being safer and better performing the stainless chimney won't risk settling over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.