chimney $ ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
I know there are alot of variables to this question but.

The guy who came to inspect my chimney stack when I first bought my house told me that I should build a chimney. He was a friend of a friend and didn;t charge me for the visit. One of those just wants to help before the $ comes out.

He said, next time I come out, there better be a chimney.

SO, about how much to build a chimney?

Need more info. Don't understand, is your current chimney in bad shape? How bad? Could it be relined to meet code or deos it need to come down and rebuilt?

Are you talking about building an insulated chase around your stainless steel stack on the outside of your home?

who's this guy who came to inspect the chimney? Is he a town official/code enforcer or just some guy who's a friend of a friend? When he says build a chimney - does he mean build a masonry chimney because stainless steel isn't allowed? Or did he mean, get a new chimney because your current one is bad shape? I lived in a town where all chimneys needed to be masonry - which is why I had a gas stove in that house with a $3K estimate to build a masonry chimney.

I think you need to call your friend and ask what he meant. Could be that he just didn't like the look of the bare metal pipe on the house and thought it needed a chase to surround it. That's real different from "needing a chimney".

Do you know the age of the current flue? Can you post a picture of it?

FWIW, I would have a certifed chimneysweep check it out and get his or her opinion.

no, the smoke stack is in very good shape. It is fairly new.

I think he was talking about cosmetic, safety and maybe cleaning reasons. He is a guy who owns a chimney service.
I agree, a nice looking chimney really makes a house.

But, I might put a second floor on that end of the house so I would have to wait.

I was just trying to find out if a chimney, new from scratch is huge money.

Yes, it is a lot of money, at least a few thousand for a ground up, masonry replacement. A chase should cost less, maybe 2K? If the current flue has a cleanout tee on the bottom, it should be very easy to clean. Surrounding it with an insulated chase would help keep it warmer which will reduce potential creosote accumulation.

I'd leave it as it is for this year. It's easy for others to spend your money. Doesn't cost them a cent. %-P Your best bet for this season is to be sure that your wood is well seasoned and dry (~20% moisture) and to employ good burning techniques in a modern EPA stove. See how it goes. If you are unsure, have the flue checked mid-season.

I have no questions about the stainless stack. Like I said, I will be doing work to the house because I just bought it and plan/need to be here for a while to raise our kids. A nice chimney really adds to the looks of a house IMO.

I just didn't know if it would be a $5000 job or a 15000 job.

All depends on your tastes. Some big stone units can go up to $15k. Whatever you choose, ask to have the flue insulated, even when building new. It will make a lot of difference in how the stove performs and in staying cleaner.

Last masonry chimney I saw quoted around here was $13,000 about a year ago. New friends are cheaper.

My brother-in-law built his exterior stone chimney with a masonry interior, an insulation cavity filled with vermiculite, then an outer masonry wall. It looks beautiful and performs really well too.

I just had a double flue mason chimney installed. 20' tall, double flue with double clean outs, and lined, brick on the outside top portion for under $2k. Done by a professional mason of many years. This was a new contruction so I didnt have to rip out any exsisting structure. Just thought I would toss it out there for what its worth.

mainemxz said:
I just had a double flue mason chimney installed. 20' tall, double flue with double clean outs, and lined, brick on the outside top portion for under $2k. Done by a professional mason of many years. This was a new contruction so I didnt have to rip out any exsisting structure. Just thought I would toss it out there for what its worth.

Was the foundation for it poured with the house?

My brother just had a single flue, concrete block with clay liner 22 foot tall chimney replaced for 2K.
He had to chase down and help the guy get it done for that price.
Friend of a friend. He'll never quote one that low again, I doubt.
Told me 2.5K to replace mine and my old one is down already.

Status
Not open for further replies.