Chimney ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upnorth765

Feb 16, 2007
Hi
I am thinking getting a wood stove to put in our basement. We used to have a Fuel oil Furnace which went into our chimney. This Chimney is fairly new I would say 15 years old. It is outside the house and has cement type blocks with a clay type liner going up inside. I believe the liner is sort of a red or brownish color. Since we now have an LP furnace and the chimey is not being used would this chimney work for a wood stove?? Thanks.

before getting a stove and chunkin it in there you may want to have it inspected to ensure it is servicable and is capable of supporting a woodstove , if nothing else it may be usable with a liner dropped in (depending on cross section)or if in good shape and correctly built you may be able to connect up. hard to say from here based on your description, not enough info. my basic principle with my customers is simple. unless you know, you dont know, have a certified sweep or equivalent inspect it before using it. better safe than sorry. hope this helps ya,

mike esw

This is a chimney which is a class A, which can be used for oil or wood. That's the good news.

You should have it looked at for potential problems like cracks and missing mortar, etc.

The liners are terra-cotta clay and are designed exactly as that - flue liners. They take the heat.

If it turns out the chimney is not up to snuff, a 6" stainless liner dropped inside the flue tile will upgrade it and assure a better draft and a higher level of safety.

There has been q bit of discussion about you type of chimney I started a post this morning about a simmilar setup/ In your case it has to be determined if its in satisfactory condition if it is it may be used if not then a ss liner would be required. You could use it and discover it creates excessive creosote at that point you should line. I'm using one now and it draws fine and does not build up creosote

Status
Not open for further replies.