Chinese case for my 372XP......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Well, I had mentioned a couple months back that I had busted the crankcase on my 372XP (bucking spike area), and I had looked for over a month to try and find a good used case for a reasonable price........no such luck.

After that long search (and a desire to run the old girl again), I finally pulled the trigger on ebay for a new, aftermarket Chinese knock-off crankcase on ebay (50 bucked shipped to my door). Much to my surprise, it actually fit amazingly well. It came with a new set of bearings, new crank seals, and a new crankcase gasket. The only area that needed some finesse was the oil pump auger recess. When you had the oil pump mounted tight, it was binding the auger driveshaft. Had to use my die grinder and a small carbide burr to clear a little bit of material in that area so the pump would function.

All that's left to do is make up a good set of west coast spikes and a muffler mod......the saw runs like a ***** ape again!

2013-07-26_20-17-26_591.jpg 2013-07-26_20-43-27_275.jpg

Going to look sharp when it's done too.

It's all back together, if I get time later today I'll take the muffler off and try and do the muff-mod sometime later this evening. I'll also make the bucking spikes tonight or tomorrow (going to use an old 12" stone cut-off blade for those). Pics to follow.....

The 372Xing-Tao! Me love you long time!

It will be interesting to see how long the Chicom case lasts (especially since you broke the original Swede).

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
The 372Xing-Tao! Me love you long time!

It will be interesting to see how long the Chicom case lasts (especially since you broke the original Swede).
Trust me, Stihlhead......I ain't gonna pamper her!!
The original case broke due to a stripped bucking spike screw backing out and catching the chain, which when I tried.to helocoil that ripped out hole, I destroyed the case. I could have probably JB-Welded it together, but it wouldn't have lasted long as I'm on those spikes hard.

Reactions: osagebow
JB Weld is good stuff... I have pasted together many chainsaws with that stuff.

I know what you mean by levering the spikes hard, and that is the way I cut. Though I do not have your size guns any more. Living on the sheep ranch and falling trees daily, I was lean, mean and buffed out. No longer.

Those lower case castings can have a million and one flaws in them though, so we shall see... it will be interesting as I am likely to get a 365x-torque saw now (poor man's 372xt) which they also fit. I would also worry about the Chicom bearings... eeeeeep !!! I blew the bearings in my first early model 066 Red Light (limited coil) Special. I parted it out on Ebay rather than mess with splitting the cases. No Chicom cases for the 660 on Ebay.

Looking good Scotty... Keep us updated in how it holds up. I have done a few saws with new handles
/tanks from a Chinese seller on FeaBay. Worked out awesome and the price couldn't be beat. Just sucked to wait 3 weeks for the parts..

I have been after the right Husq and the 372 is one I have been looking for. I finally found one with less than 5 tanks through it. :) for a steal:cool:

Had a 395xp. Got it for Milling. Quickly realized 2 things, 1.) I don't have enough time for milling 2.) using it for Firewood use until I started to Mill is just Ridiculous. :) So it is now gone. But it was pretty new too... (Last pic)

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Looking good Scotty... Keep us updated in how it holds up. I have done a few saws with new handles
/tanks from a Chinese seller on FeaBay. Worked out awesome and the price couldn't be beat. Just sucked to wait 3 weeks for the parts..

I have been after the right Husq and the 372 is one I have been looking for. I finally found one with less than 5 tanks through it. :) for a steal:cool:

Had a 395xp. Got it for Milling. Quickly realized 2 things, 1.) I don't have enough time for milling 2.) using it for Firewood use until I started to Mill is just Ridiculous. :) So it is now gone. But it was pretty new too... (Last pic)

View attachment 107509 View attachment 107510 View attachment 107512
You'll love that 372, Mad Dog!! I love mine, and I'm a die-hard Stihl fan...

Speaking of Stihl, I just got my 046 in the mail the other day. Gonna pull the trigger on the big bore kit from that same Chinese place......can't beat the price, so I'll give it a shot. It is a Nikasil cylinder.....should be OK to give it a shot. Also looking for a bench mounted die grinder with remote angle head whip.....gonna do some Woods porting experiments soon...

I dont see any problems with there cylinder kits either. But the one thing I might do, is buy a set of Caber rings for the piston and put the ones that come with the kit on the shelf.

There is a person on the Aother Site :) that has Caber rings amd pretty cheap. But even on FeaBay they are less than $20 and well worth it after the money that you save on that kit. Plus Cabers normally gain about 10-20 psi over stock rings.

Also, forgetting to install the base gasket ;) Thats gotta be good for about 170-180 psi. :cool: add in your woods port and your pushing close to 190psi :) Love it!!

I have had very good luck with putting Caber rings in several tired Stihl saws. I get them from Greece on Ebay for pretty cheap. No Chicom parts for me though. <>

I have had very good luck with putting Caber rings in several tired Stihl saws. I get them from Greece on Ebay for pretty cheap. No Chicom parts for me though. <>
I've bought many parts off of a guy from Greece on ebay. And I've never had a single problem with them, either. His ebay username is Dandikrop, if I am not mistaken. Great to deal with, fast shipping and really good prices.

I bought several sets of Caber rings from him for my old Stihl 041AV Supers (48mm ring), those saws run like violated apes too!

Speaking of piston rings, found this affordable little ring compressor tool on ebay. I've never had problems doing it 'manually', but I may buy this little kit just to have it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RING-COMPRE...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ca1da1d0

I nearly bought a kit like that a couple years ago scotty. I'm so cheap though, I made a piston/crank "cradle" out of a piece of wood and used a big zip tie to compress the rings (that was on a 394, the rings where a little challenging to compress with just my fingers) :cool:

I have bought several items from that seller (customchainssawparts) and always had very good luck with them. Shipping is always fast and they are a pleasure to do business with :)

As for the Cabers. I have another 036 pro on the way. And I am gonna do a little work to this one. Seeing how I have 3 of them ;em And it was only $100!!!

Gonna put some Cabers in it, no base gasket and do a little grinding and polishing to the ports :)

Hoping today. He went out of town and his Wife never shipped it. He shipped it Tues. So it should be here today :) I have several new parts for it already. Dual port is the 1st addition :)

Status
Not open for further replies.