Chinese chainsaws.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clemsonfor

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2011
Greenwood county, SC
I was messing around on eBay an. Came back across these. I first hear about them on tractorbynet. A guy said he had one for a toss around saw an it was OK. I looked about a 50cc saw was $100 shipped. A 65 CC was $240 shipped a look alike stihl. They have fake looking husky, stihls and yellow ones, I guess for Macs? They say oil is 25:1!! I'm half tempted to get a chepo used one. I have herd the atv s are OK just part. Can be a problem. But I did. See a supply of parts availible on. EBay as well. Just so u know I only have stihl and husky now this would be for fun.
Any thoughts?

I am posting from my phone on tapatalk, that's why there is random punctuation, I accidentally hit the period all the time.

Reactions: Ashful
There was a thread on Another Site that guys were buying "Earthquake" saws for under $50 shipped and doing mods, painting them or otherwise just having fun with them. Many of the saws were new in original boxes with screnches and files included. Others were barely used, or needed very minor repairs like carb adjustments and fuel lines. A couple had defects in the top ends but all were runners.

If you're buying to have fun with it then by all means proceed. But if you need a serious small saw to do dirty jobs or limb work with, I would look for a used Stihl/Husky/Echo/Dolmar etc. Something you can get parts for should it need repairs.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Sorry for laughing, apparently she actually had a slight stroke. Back on topic...

I was messing around on eBay an. Came back across these. I first hear about them on tractorbynet. A guy said he had one for a toss around saw an it was OK. I looked about a 50cc saw was $100 shipped. A 65 CC was $240 shipped a look alike stihl. They have fake looking husky, stihls and yellow ones, I guess for Macs? They say oil is 25:1!! I'm half tempted to get a chepo used one. I have herd the atv s are OK just part. Can be a problem. But I did. See a supply of parts availible on. EBay as well. Just so u know I only have stihl and husky now this would be for fun.
Any thoughts?

Yes, plenty. Here's one.

Why bother? You know it's a piece of sh_t. What's fun about a POS Chinese knock-off? Is the "fun" worth a possible catastrophic and injurious failure? Why would you choose to clutter your life with sh_tty tools?

OK!! Thanks for the opinion. Anyone with real world experience with them?

The only people I have heard with them had good luck with them.

I have actually had very good luck with stuff from harbor freight as well.

I blew up a 52cc one last year. The replacement is still running strong.

BB how long have you been running new one, well I guess a year! How about the previous one?

First one crapped out after around three cords. I haven't gotten around to opening it up to see what happened.

Like I said last year. I don't suggest that anybody buy one. I don't want to hear the gripes if they get a bad one. ;lol

I am in the process of reading your post. Thanks. Was wondering why there were so many "part saws". Honestly when I was messing around looking g at them like 3 yrs ago on eBay there was way more of them then. Maybe there wedding them self out? And like was mentioned in your post for the average home owner that don't burn one tank of fuel a year it may be a 10 yr saw for them?

BB, looking at the auctions I noticed but didn't think about it Tull I was back on eBay tonight. Did you run the saw at 25:1 like they say on 90 octane or dis u run it at 50:1?

I normally don't throw money after marginal products, but I managed to get a one of those previously mentioned 38cc Earthquakes for $32.77 shipped to my door. Under a dollar per cc. I couldn't resist!

It's supposed to be a Redmax clone, and it came with a genuine Oregon bar. The only problem was that it was severely out of tune. With only one tank of fuel through it, I can't say much about it yet. It certainly cuts better than I expected, but it feels like the tensioner and other plastic parts won't last too long. I certainly wouldn't put pay $149 for one (Home Depot price). When I have time, it will definitely get a muff mod and maybe some others.

What oil mix are you running in it?

I have some experience with the asian knock off quads and dirt bikes, if its made in china expect sub par quality, made in taiwan expect it to be ok compared to chine, made in korea stuff is fine

problem with chinese stuff is they make everything out of chinesium and complete lack of quality control, one unit might be ok the next might be missing parts or completely broken in the box (anyone who has dealt with this stuff knows what chinesium is LOL)

i got to ask, why pay 100-250 for a chinese saw when you get that 50CC poulan pro for $200 that is supposedly damn near the same as the husky equivalent? one thing the Chinese do a lot on this stuff is lie about the actual displacement, the literature will say 125cc but the bore and stroke stated will equate to 70cc.. first thing i would do is take the chinese chain and throw it in the trash, if they are of the same quality of the powersports stuff then thats a disaster waiting to happen

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-POULAN-...801300391?pt=US_Chainsaws&hash=item1e745d73a7

they make everything out of chinesium
;lol ;lol ;lol

Love it!

I second the motion that if we're spending $200 on a saw, the PP5020AV is an awesome deal.

But I would spend $50 to have my very own Earthquake. ;lol

I still think you're better off paying the same money (and usually 1/3rd to 1/2 as much) for a mid 70's - early '90's McCulloch,Poulan,Husqvarna,or Stihl etc of comparable size & displacement.There's a reason so many of these vintage saws are still around & running good some 20-45 years later.

Most all of them have all mag cases,heavier duty parts,are easy to find parts for & work on when needed.Much more durable build quality than that disposable Chinese crapola.Then there's the worry about substandard parts breaking during use. !!!

Reactions: gmule and JOHN BOY
Point taken. I appreciate it guys.

Since the subject is up here again, how about some info. How many of ya have or know somebody that has owned one of the Chinese saws? What problems did you or they have?

Will say this than back to BB question.

I also saw on eBay u can get a brand new husqvarna like 40cc for $180 shipped. I mean seriously I would not mess with one for that new price. But its a smaller saw but an avg homeowner does not need a 50+CC saw like most us. I have got obsessed with speed now I'm looking for a 70 CC saw.

I have two 40cc Huskies that I have run the crap out of for years. Sometimes light beats fast.

lil husky.JPG

For faster I grab the Chusky.

i have a chinese electric pole saw, bought in knowing it might get used once a year for occasional light duty trimming and its a sub-par piece, think it was $65-70 delivered so its disposable which I am sure if I used it seriously is exactly what would happen

Status
Not open for further replies.