1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chinese kinetic splitters arriving on American shores

Post in 'The Gear' started by BrianK, Aug 21, 2013.

1. BrianK

BrianK Guest

I stumbled upon a couple Chinese knock off kinetic splitters on Craigslist and Ebay tonight while searching for log splitters. I wonder how long it will be till they get them working right?

The first one is listed on Chicago Industries' website. They've been importing Chinese generators for a while now and they sell hydraulic splitters. Here's their website blurb:

They're showing up on Craigslist and Ebay.

And here's one I saw on another forum, that I haven't been able to track down an importer for yet:

Bster13 likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Once DR took that design over to Chicom it was only a matter of time before the floodgates opened. Likely need to buy at least 2 units ,one for parts, just to make it through a cord. Kinda also tells what kind of mark up DR is running on their version.
    MasterMech likes this.
  3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Dr is probably engineered and built to better standards. I like the concept in these kinds. Does anyone have the soeedco one or DR?? Seem like in good clean oak or ash they would fly but in elm and gum they may be a pain and counter productive? The chicom ones are bad prolly as they usually will run one brand or factory line for a few yrs then another one will kind of refine or redisighn and parts are hard to procure. U need to be able to make or workaround things a they break
  4. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    That machine is bouncing around like a ping pong ball on each pull, also looks more dangerous, I think I'll keep looking towards the husky 22 direction...thanks for posting
  5. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    I think I've learned my lesson with wood splitting machinery made overseas w/ my HF 7-ton splitter leaking all the time. I can't say american made is better made, but at least the manufacturers are more responsive and perhaps parts are easier to obtain.
  6. charly

charly Guest

After owning SuperSplits for over 25 years I'm betting these knock offs have rack and pinion failures within a very short time along with the mechanics of the engaging cam bearings , etc. Also talking with SuperSplit,,, the I beams being true are very important.. I can see those China models twisting a hair and that will be the end of the splitter working again... I'm figuring the rack coming out will bend and then no more tooth engagement.. One tooth breaks off and game over... China is not known for good steel.. Besides I'm glad to keep a small business in America going.. Kind of like Woodstock Stoves, buying factory direct..
  7. Bster13

Bster13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CT
    If the bean is twisted a bit, it put undue stress on the rack when it engages wood I guess?
  8. charly

charly Guest

Once the I beam is twisted the ram will come out one time, but never return on it's own.. It will constantly hang up on the return.. Then the the rack will be twisted in relation to the pinion gear between the flywheels,, soon as it pushes against the wood the rack teeth will not be engaged enough or squarely with the pinion gear and you'll hear that awful grinding noise in which case being made in China, the teeth will now be metal filings.. You get what you pay for.. I decided to stick with the original builders.. Had my first one for 20 years with zero issues.. Sold it to get a 30 inch capacity splitter... After moving and back to a wood stove not needing long splits for a boiler, I sold be bigger splitter and bought another SuperSplit.. I love seeing the wood just pumping out with my splitter.. Makes me feel like I'm ahead of the game.. Quick, simple and great on fuel..
  9. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    Saw that first one on Ebay last nite. I wouldn't think it will last anywhere near as long as the DR. That one on the video looks pretty flimsy, and the steel will most likely be on the soft side. That rack and pinion will not last long.
  10. charly

charly Guest

I'd love to see those flywheels,, they look small compared to my SuperSplit.. I'm thinking they are spinning smaller flywheels at a much higher RPM then the SuperSplit, thus the pinion gear and rack coming together will be very short lived, plus I'm banking that the flywheel bearings have no grease fittings. I say one elm crotch and that will be the end of the splitter.. Looks like things aren't too true on the I beam set up as watching the return speed, LOL, looks like they have a ridiculously strong spring to over come anything trying to hang up.
  11. charly

charly Guest

Another clue on small flywheels,, 95% of the time I run my SuperSplit at 1/2 throttle.. only time I go to full throttle is if it won't split something after one try .. Too bad they didn't have pictures with the shroud covers off... I think that would say it all...
  12. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    Well I ain't no spring chicken any more and my hydro works fast enough for me.
    Fifelaker, mtarbert and Bster13 like this.
  13. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    I am sure they will get it perfected eventually, but until then I will stick to my hydro's.
  14. BrianK

BrianK Guest

It would be interesting to know which Chinese manufacturer is producing DR's kinetic log splitter. The Chicago Industrial unit is similar and the AliBaba listings below are remarkably similar to the DR unit.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]