Chinook chimney cap buildup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jcapo29

Feb 5, 2023
Nj
Long time lurker first time poster. Got a question as this is a new problem. I saw on the cap some build up after about 8 weeks of burning. Finally got up to get some pictures in between the work schedule. This seems a bit more excessive than I can remember. What does everyone think? I'm going to retest my wood but I measured at beginning of the season at 18%. All hardwoods and same normal burning as last year.

Is this abnormal like I think? Could the combuster/cat just be toast and need to be replaced? I moved in to the house with this stove 3 years ago and usually just take the combuster out and tap it out. Never a ton of buildup in it. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see how it looks.

Thanks everyone.

Chinook chimney cap buildup Chinook chimney cap buildup Chinook chimney cap buildup Chinook chimney cap buildup Chinook chimney cap buildup Chinook chimney cap buildup

Long time lurker first time poster. Got a question as this is a new problem. I saw on the cap some build up after about 8 weeks of burning. Finally got up to get some pictures in between the work schedule. This seems a bit more excessive than I can remember. What does everyone think? I'm going to retest my wood but I measured at beginning of the season at 18%. All hardwoods and same normal burning as last year.

Is this abnormal like I think? Could the combuster/cat just be toast and need to be replaced? I moved in to the house with this stove 3 years ago and usually just take the combuster out and tap it out. Never a ton of buildup in it. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see how it looks.

Thanks everyone.

View attachment 309257 View attachment 309258 View attachment 309259 View attachment 309260 View attachment 309261 View attachment 309262
That is burnt creosote around the top

That is burnt creosote around the top
Kinda figured that. Most likely due to the cold flue temp because of the cat? I figured it out I ran about 5 ricks already. Just due to be cleaned more often? Or should there be something else I look at before cleaning the flue and stove out?

Kinda figured that. Most likely due to the cold flue temp because of the cat? I figured it out I ran about 5 ricks already. Just due to be cleaned more often? Or should there be something else I look at before cleaning the flue and stove out?
How old is the cat? It probably needs replaced and you should always have the chimney inspected after a chimney fire

I just cleaned a whole bunch of that stuff off of my cap last night. I started getting a lot of smoke spillage during reloads and climbed up there and I bet half of the caps airways were plugged with crusty creosote stuff. I have a new Princess this year and have been burning since October. I was surprised by the buildup and figure I better get a chimney brush ordered.

Mine looks like that too, except for the pillow puff at the top of the class A. These BKs run low flue temperatures and so crap easily condenses out at the cold cap.

Thanks everyone.

I'm wondering if the burnt looking creosote is from throwing in some Rutland creosote killer every week during this season. It's the first season I've been using that so that may be the variable.

How old is the cat? It probably needs replaced and you should always have the chimney inspected after a chimney fire
I know the cat is atleast 3 years old. Not sure if previous owners ever replaced it. I don't think I had a chimney fire though to be honest.

I know the cat is atleast 3 years old. Not sure if previous owners ever replaced it. I don't think I had a chimney fire though to be honest.
You have burnt creosote on your cap. How else did that happen?

If it's 3 years old and used for full time heat it probably needs replaced

Thanks everyone.

I'm wondering if the burnt looking creosote is from throwing in some Rutland creosote killer every week during this season. It's the first season I've been using that so that may be the variable.
If you used that you absolutely need a new cat. It is possible that expanded creosote is from that stuff but it really looks allot more like burnt creosote

Reactions: Jcapo29
You have burnt creosote on your cap. How else did that happen?

If it's 3 years old and used for full time heat it probably needs replaced
I thought that was just normal buildup. I'm not sure how it else could have happened either. Going to disassemble and look at the cap and clean out the chimney this weekend.

I thought that was just normal buildup. I'm not sure how it else could have happened either. Going to disassemble and look at the cap and clean out the chimney this weekend.
Puffy creosote like that isn't normal build up

Reactions: Jcapo29
Got it. It flaked off and crumbled to dust. I'll order a new cat, brush the chimney and not use that stuff any more. Now I'm curious to see if there's any visible damage on the cat. I thought I read somewhere to use the Rutland with a cat stove to help due to the low flue temps. Guess I need to do better research. That's on me.

Puffy creosote like that isn't normal build up
Thanks for all the help. Cleaned the chimney, cleaned out by the cat and bypass, anf replaced the cat. Also cleaned up the cap and top of class A. Will go up after two face cords and see how it all looks to see if the cat was the problem. I seriously appreciate your time and expertise.