Choice between Pacific Energy T4 and Hearthstone Craftsbury?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltng7679

Nov 8, 2008
Central CT
I think based on everyones help here I've narrowed the choice for my 1600 sq ft old house to the PE T4 or the Hearthstone Craftsbury. It will go in a 14' X 14' room downstairs and I will use a blower kit and some small fans to circulate the air around as much of the house as possible. Still going to be burning oil but hopefully less.

My questions. What is the real life max log length I can get in the T4 versus the Craftsbury. I know what the spec reads but I wanted some feedback from users. Also can anyone tell me the burn times they get from both.

The craftsbury spec says it puts out 22 BTU/hr versus the T4 20.2BTU/hr but the max output of the T4 is 56K versus 40K for the Craftsbury. What is this about. I'm assuming I need convection heat since it will be tucked back in the firebox of my fireplace. Which one is best for that.

Finally is there a difference in the quality of each. The T4 has some steel while the Hearthstone is all cast iron.

Some suggested the Harthsone trubute but I thought the log length 16" was too short and the firebox seems really small at 1.2 cu ft.

Thanks
Ed

If I had to choose, I would go with the T4. I considered all the stoves you mentioned before I bought what I have now. I almost bought the T4, but opted for the Vista Classic instead. The Vista Classic has the same size firebox as the T4 and if I was trying to heat a house your size, I would not want to go any smaller. My house is an open floor plan ~ 850 square foot house so I don't have to feed the Vista very often and it heats my house VERY well. I find it difficult to use 18" pieces of wood. Anything from 12 to 14" is more practical. The Tribute would definitely be on the small side. From what I have read, the reviews on the Craftsbury have been hit and miss.

You might even want to consider the T5 if you have the room in your fireplace. Same length wood, but the firebox is bigger.

Both are top quality stoves. I think the Alderlea will give you more flexibility. It looks like your wife likes to harvest and collect herbs, pine nuts, etc. The trivet top on the Alderleas is great for this. You can go from a drying rack to a slow roast just by pivoting out the top trivet. Great for drying out mittens in the winter too.

PS: I still think a T6 in the kitchen fireplace is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.