1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Choice for maintenance free dishwasher

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by save$, Oct 30, 2012.

1. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    About every five years I end up replacing our dishwasher. I have tried kitchen aid, G E, Maytag, and Sears,
    The one I have now is the Sears model that consumer reports listed as #one.
    The problem is my wife won't stop putting dishes in without rinsing them off first. Bones, pennies, band aids, fruit pits, tooth picks, and worst, those damn stick on labels that are on the bottom of some things.
    What I need is a model that has easy access to clean out that stuff without having to take the thing apart.
    Please, I know how to prevent it, that is not going to happen.
    Any suggestions what model has an easy access clean out?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I have a Bosch. We put tons of stuff in there we probably shouldn't. It has a easily removable filter to get the big stuff out. I had it clog once when some Lego man hair somehow got past the filter (amazing) and got into the pump. I had to remove the filter and a cover from the pump...took about 3 minutes.
  3. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Put in a Maytag 18 years ago. Had to replace the "chopper blade" and a gasket around the soap dispenser. About $30 in parts.
  4. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    We have a Bosch too and its very easy to remove and clean the two stainless steel filters that it has, basically like removing a big thumbscrew.
    Its a very quiet and efficient unit.
    Beware though, most Bosch units don't have heating elements inside for drying. The water heater is inline under the unit. Many complain of the drying system. We've found that it works fine for us.
    LInk to Youtube video showing filters.

Personally, we were disgusted when we found that the drying air intake for most dishwashers is under or behind the unit. When we removed ours to replace it we found a mummified mouse lying near the air intake. We envisioned mouse hairs being sucked in with our clean dishes.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    No issues with drying here either. Actually it's nice because because there's no longer a "top shelf safe" requirement...there's no heating element on the bottom to warp things.
  6. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Have to agree with the Bosch units plus a ton quieter then our 16 year old cement mixer!:)

Gary
  7. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I know you shouldn't go with a Frigidaire, I've had to replace two pumps on ours in the past 5-6 years and the parts shop says it's a very common part to fail.
  8. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Thanks. That Bosch unit seems a lot better than what I have to go through now. I knew this was the group to ask.
  9. dswitham

dswitham Member

Loc:
    western ME
    I have to agree with the Bosch suggestion as well. We replaced our old second hand kitchen aid over a year ago with a Bosch. I have no complaints about it at all. Not having a heating element on the bottom is a huge plus for me as I have melted quite a few plastic items on our old dishwasher. ;em
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Whirlpool Gold dishwasher here . . . replaced something (cannot remember what it was) under warrantee within the first few weeks . . . since then no issues in 10 or so years.
  11. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    An added possible plus for the Bosch....I think ours was built in the USA.
    Its hard to find appliances built here anymore.
    Its ironic that a German brand was one of the few I could find domestically made.
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Ours is Bosch too. Made in NC. Good luck ordering one, they have a bewildering array of models. The first one we ordered was shipping damaged. That turned out to be a good thing. We upgraded slightly and now have a unit that much better fits our lifestyle and needs.
  13. Grisu

Grisu Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chittenden, VT
    It is a common misconception that dishes need to be rinsed before going into the dishwasher. Most manufacturers recommend to just scrape off the solid parts into the trash and then put the dishes in right away. Modern detergents can actually be so aggressive that they will "scratch" your dishes if they do not find enough dirt to clean. Rinsing also defeats the purpose of saving water and time.
  14. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Agreed. Scrape off the solids and in it goes. Our Sears/Kenmore is 17 years old & hasn't missed a beat - but we're likely on borrowed time with it, it sees a LOT of use. We never use any drying modes - just open the door as soon as possible after the washing is done & let them air dry.
  15. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I had a frigidare and it dont have a good seive to keep stray utensils ect out of the food chopper which is made of plastic. part of a coffe cup busted it up. Also had a bosch ,worked fine for 3 Yrs till all the electronics in the door shorted out.(But it was very quiet) Now i have a whirlpool for about 5 years and its working flawless.Probably go with whirlpool again. I buy this stuff a lot for furnished houses and apts that i rent out.
  16. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    On one of the repairman's trip to unclog the drain, he said he always recommends rinsing first. Unlike the wife, I rinse them almost clean. Our warrantee is run out, so I am the one who takes it apart to clean it out. I don't bend easily so being on my knees with the dishwasher door in the way is no easy task.
  17. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    We have a Bosch. Suggestion - have you wife or you,bring in a sample dish, glass, bowl, plate or anything else and test how the machine loads. You want to make sure it loads well. some models have odd configurations and plates and bowls flop over. They thought I was nuts but the machine we had before the Bosh - beleive it was a Sears had a horrible loading design
  18. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I think they scratch them anyway. I dont put beer mugs and glasses in there,it tends to etch the glass. Dish was detergent is mostly chlorine,at least it smells like it.
  19. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    They do scratch! But I don't mind so much as long as they are clean and I didn't have to do them by hand. What few times we have company, I haul out the good stuff. Load them on top and do a quick wash, they don 't get scratched. Any more than 6 visiting, we bring out all disposables.
  20. Biglumber

Biglumber Member

Loc:
    Colorado
    5 years on our bosch so far. I am happy I spent the extra bucks. Quiet unit...extremely quiet.
  21. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Amana tall tub.6 years old. Has a drying option.No problems. Always rinse the crude off.

It'll clog the sump at some point in time, even in a Miele, it's gonna clog, if it's not rinsed. Broken glasses, etc all contribute.

Will add I love the delayed start on the thing.
  22. NickDL

NickDL Member

Loc:
    Souderton, Pa
    I installed a Bosch in our old home & we loved it. I can't wait to replace the dishwasher in the new home.
  23. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    save$,

Remove the dishwasher and have the Mrs do the dishes by hand until she learns not to put things in the wash she shouldn't. That might correct your real problem. Be sure you wear full body armor during the process.
  24. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Bear! Not funny! Not even her very stubborn father could change her. She is a good mom, a good cook, and good companion, so I have to accept some things. After all, might get it in her head to change my ways, and that wouldn't do at all.
  25. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    I've got a bosch, and I'm not impressed. It's the cheap version.

My favorite dishwasher ever was a kitchen-aid. It would clean ANYTHING.
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.