Choice for maintenance free dishwasher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
About every five years I end up replacing our dishwasher. I have tried kitchen aid, G E, Maytag, and Sears,
The one I have now is the Sears model that consumer reports listed as #one.
The problem is my wife won't stop putting dishes in without rinsing them off first. Bones, pennies, band aids, fruit pits, tooth picks, and worst, those damn stick on labels that are on the bottom of some things.
What I need is a model that has easy access to clean out that stuff without having to take the thing apart.
Please, I know how to prevent it, that is not going to happen.
Any suggestions what model has an easy access clean out?

I have a Bosch. We put tons of stuff in there we probably shouldn't. It has a easily removable filter to get the big stuff out. I had it clog once when some Lego man hair somehow got past the filter (amazing) and got into the pump. I had to remove the filter and a cover from the pump...took about 3 minutes.

I have a Bosch. We put tons of stuff in there we probably shouldn't. It has a easily removable filter to get the big stuff out. I had it clog once when some Lego man hair somehow got past the filter (amazing) and got into the pump. I had to remove the filter and a cover from the pump...took about 3 minutes.

We have a Bosch too and its very easy to remove and clean the two stainless steel filters that it has, basically like removing a big thumbscrew.
Its a very quiet and efficient unit.
Beware though, most Bosch units don't have heating elements inside for drying. The water heater is inline under the unit. Many complain of the drying system. We've found that it works fine for us.
LInk to Youtube video showing filters.

Personally, we were disgusted when we found that the drying air intake for most dishwashers is under or behind the unit. When we removed ours to replace it we found a mummified mouse lying near the air intake. We envisioned mouse hairs being sucked in with our clean dishes.

We have a Bosch too and its very easy to remove and clean the two stainless steel filters that it has, basically like removing a big thumbscrew.
Its a very quiet and efficient unit.
Beware though, most Bosch units don't have heating elements inside for drying. The water heater is inline under the unit. Many complain of the drying system. We've found that it works fine for us.

Personally, we were disgusted when we found that the drying air intake for most dishwashers is under or behind the unit. When we removed ours to replace it we found a mummified mouse lying near the air intake. We envisioned mouse hairs being sucked in with our clean dishes.

No issues with drying here either. Actually it's nice because because there's no longer a "top shelf safe" requirement...there's no heating element on the bottom to warp things.

About every five years I end up replacing our dishwasher. I have tried kitchen aid, G E, Maytag, and Sears,
The one I have now is the Sears model that consumer reports listed as #one.
The problem is my wife won't stop putting dishes in without rinsing them off first. Bones, pennies, band aids, fruit pits, tooth picks, and worst, those damn stick on labels that are on the bottom of some things.
What I need is a model that has easy access to clean out that stuff without having to take the thing apart.
Please, I know how to prevent it, that is not going to happen.
Any suggestions what model has an easy access clean out?

I know you shouldn't go with a Frigidaire, I've had to replace two pumps on ours in the past 5-6 years and the parts shop says it's a very common part to fail.

Thanks. That Bosch unit seems a lot better than what I have to go through now. I knew this was the group to ask.

I have to agree with the Bosch suggestion as well. We replaced our old second hand kitchen aid over a year ago with a Bosch. I have no complaints about it at all. Not having a heating element on the bottom is a huge plus for me as I have melted quite a few plastic items on our old dishwasher. ;em

Whirlpool Gold dishwasher here . . . replaced something (cannot remember what it was) under warrantee within the first few weeks . . . since then no issues in 10 or so years.

An added possible plus for the Bosch....I think ours was built in the USA.
Its hard to find appliances built here anymore.
Its ironic that a German brand was one of the few I could find domestically made.

Ours is Bosch too. Made in NC. Good luck ordering one, they have a bewildering array of models. The first one we ordered was shipping damaged. That turned out to be a good thing. We upgraded slightly and now have a unit that much better fits our lifestyle and needs.

It is a common misconception that dishes need to be rinsed before going into the dishwasher. Most manufacturers recommend to just scrape off the solid parts into the trash and then put the dishes in right away. Modern detergents can actually be so aggressive that they will "scratch" your dishes if they do not find enough dirt to clean. Rinsing also defeats the purpose of saving water and time.

It is a common misconception that dishes need to be rinsed before going into the dishwasher. Most manufacturers recommend to just scrape off the solid parts into the trash and then put the dishes in right away. Modern detergents can actually be so aggressive that they will "scratch" your dishes if they do not find enough dirt to clean. Rinsing also defeats the purpose of saving water and time.

Agreed. Scrape off the solids and in it goes. Our Sears/Kenmore is 17 years old & hasn't missed a beat - but we're likely on borrowed time with it, it sees a LOT of use. We never use any drying modes - just open the door as soon as possible after the washing is done & let them air dry.

I had a frigidare and it dont have a good seive to keep stray utensils ect out of the food chopper which is made of plastic. part of a coffe cup busted it up. Also had a bosch ,worked fine for 3 Yrs till all the electronics in the door shorted out.(But it was very quiet) Now i have a whirlpool for about 5 years and its working flawless.Probably go with whirlpool again. I buy this stuff a lot for furnished houses and apts that i rent out.

On one of the repairman's trip to unclog the drain, he said he always recommends rinsing first. Unlike the wife, I rinse them almost clean. Our warrantee is run out, so I am the one who takes it apart to clean it out. I don't bend easily so being on my knees with the dishwasher door in the way is no easy task.

We have a Bosch. Suggestion - have you wife or you,bring in a sample dish, glass, bowl, plate or anything else and test how the machine loads. You want to make sure it loads well. some models have odd configurations and plates and bowls flop over. They thought I was nuts but the machine we had before the Bosh - beleive it was a Sears had a horrible loading design

I think they scratch them anyway. I dont put beer mugs and glasses in there,it tends to etch the glass. Dish was detergent is mostly chlorine,at least it smells like it.

I think they scratch them anyway. I dont put beer mugs and glasses in there,it tends to etch the glass. Dish was detergent is mostly chlorine,at least it smells like it.
They do scratch! But I don't mind so much as long as they are clean and I didn't have to do them by hand. What few times we have company, I haul out the good stuff. Load them on top and do a quick wash, they don 't get scratched. Any more than 6 visiting, we bring out all disposables.

5 years on our bosch so far. I am happy I spent the extra bucks. Quiet unit...extremely quiet.

Amana tall tub.6 years old. Has a drying option.No problems. Always rinse the crude off.

It'll clog the sump at some point in time, even in a Miele, it's gonna clog, if it's not rinsed. Broken glasses, etc all contribute.

Will add I love the delayed start on the thing.

save$,

Remove the dishwasher and have the Mrs do the dishes by hand until she learns not to put things in the wash she shouldn't. That might correct your real problem. Be sure you wear full body armor during the process.

Bear! Not funny! Not even her very stubborn father could change her. She is a good mom, a good cook, and good companion, so I have to accept some things. After all, might get it in her head to change my ways, and that wouldn't do at all.

I've got a bosch, and I'm not impressed. It's the cheap version.

My favorite dishwasher ever was a kitchen-aid. It would clean ANYTHING.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Status
Not open for further replies.