choice new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
I'm still going through this decision to buy a new stove replacing my ancient VC Defiant. Choices I am facing now are:

1. Dutch West (it has side door on left that I need whereas the Defiant has it on right). One store sells with catalytic converter and swears by it. Another store sells model w/o and swears by it. The Vermont Casting and any other website no longer has Dutch West. Someone wrote that it disappeared from websites as they are re-doing the website. But it makes me nervous and I wonder if that stove and support will be around for the long haul.

2. Jotul Oslo 500.

3. Regency F2400. Steel with bricks stacked to line it. Store owner claims this brand is the highest efficiency of stoves. A concern is replacing the bricks every few years. And there is no top or side door, just front doors to load wood. No ash drawer (not a problem I think).

Not sure how to compare catalytic versus non-cat. And steel (with bricks lining stove) versus cast iron.

netmouse said:
I'm still going through this decision to buy a new stove replacing my ancient VC Defiant. Choices I am facing now are:

1. Dutch West (it has side door on left that I need whereas the Defiant has it on right). One store sells with catalytic converter and swears by it. Another store sells model w/o and swears by it. The Vermont Casting and any other website no longer has Dutch West. Someone wrote that it disappeared from websites as they are re-doing the website. But it makes me nervous and I wonder if that stove and support will be around for the long haul.

2. Jotul Oslo 500.

3. Regency F2400. Steel with bricks stacked to line it. Store owner claims this brand is the highest efficiency of stoves. A concern is replacing the bricks every few years. And there is no top or side door, just front doors to load wood. No ash drawer (not a problem I think).

Not sure how to compare catalytic versus non-cat. And steel (with bricks lining stove) versus cast iron.

Tell us about your old Defiant. Did it heat the house well? Too much heat? Not enough heat?

The Defiant heated the house well using vents/fan above doorways of rooms and a ceiling vent to second floor. The house is about 1700 sq. feet. 1st floor has kitchen, dining and living room. Upstairs has 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. I use the stove December - March in the evenings from 4 p.m to 9 p.m. when I stop feeding wood. When I get up in the a.m. the house is warm enough that the oil burner has not kicked on.

The Defiant is maybe 25 years old. The side door is warped. The damper freezes open or shut when the temperature gets fairly high, so I close the air intake to cool the stove and then am able to move the damper. The Dutch West guy was familiar with this type of problem.

netmouse said:
The Defiant heated the house well using vents/fan above doorways of rooms and a ceiling vent to second floor. The house is about 1700 sq. feet. 1st floor has kitchen, dining and living room. Upstairs has 3 bedrooms and a bathroom. I use the stove December - March in the evenings from 4 p.m to 9 p.m. when I stop feeding wood. When I get up in the a.m. the house is warm enough that the oil burner has not kicked on.

The Defiant is maybe 25 years old. The side door is warped. The damper freezes open or shut when the temperature gets fairly high, so I close the air intake to cool the stove and then am able to move the damper. The Dutch West guy was familiar with this type of problem.

So, you would like a stove that gives off the same amount of heat as the Defiant?

The models I'm looking at all seem to be fairly similar. I'm more interested in comparing brands, cat versus non-cat, steel versus cast iron. I have spec sheets to compare efficiency, emissions, btu, etc.

netmouse said:
The models I'm looking at all seem to be fairly similar. I'm more interested in comparing brands, cat versus non-cat, steel versus cast iron. I have spec sheets to compare efficiency, emissions, btu, etc.

The models you are looking at are smaller. The Jotul f500 would campare to what the Vigilant would produce. Same goes for the Regency. Not sure which model Dutchwest you are looking at, but you will need a stove that offers a 3 cu ft firebox in order to compare to the heat that the old Defiant put out.

netmouse said:
Thanks for that input. I'm also looking for replies on my comparison questions.

Not sure how to compare catalytic versus non-cat.
-Cat stoves allow you to burn at a lower temperature will maintaining a smoke free burn without creosote. This has it's advantages during the shoulder seasons when you don't need a lot of heat but can still get a long clean burn. Some people love cat stoves, others do not. Personal preference. The Catalytic combustor will need to be replaced every 3-5 years at a cost of$100 - $150.

And steel (with bricks lining stove) versus cast iron.
-A lot of cast iron stoves have a brick lining as well. They work the same as a cast stove. They are just as reliable. For the most part the main difference is looks.

Cast iron is a nice look, i hear a tad more possible maintance with gaskets cemented joints etc. The oslo you mention has a brick lined back.

Steel offers a hair lower maintanence, goobs of blasting heat. Some are better than others, go with the thickest steel plate you can. That regency i believe is 1/4" top. Pretty good.

I have not had a cat stove, have run one once or twice. I like the wider temp range you can run with them. Yes more "stuff to do" all of one lever, sure replacement, youll eventually have to replace a brick or two, maybe a baffle or tube in the others. From what i gather a cat stove can be more predicable or aim to hit a temp etc. But both styles do the job well. A secondary burn is great to watch for example.

Go with the best brand for you. A stove should be reliable, you need to trust it.

If i had a vote id say the dutch or jotul...but its your choice.

In either case whatever you do...make sure you have good dry wood. Split and stacked for a year at least. No matter what you by, boils down to your wood. I trust that since you burn you already do. But just in case

My opinion for a stove that would equal or come close to the old Defiant in terms of heat:

Englander 30NC
Jotul F600
New Model VC Defiant
Lopi Liberty
Pacific Energy T6/Summit
Napoleon Model 1900

I can't remember if the Extra Large Dutchwest was big enough. If you go with the Dutchwest, go with the Cat version as their are many complaints about the non-cat models.

I would avoid a Dutchwest non-cat (everburn) as many have had problems with them but the cat version is a very good stove and hard to break with no fragile refractory material exposed.. Quite a few people here have owned DW non-cats with generally favorable results.. I owned an older large CDW large stove for 20+ years and just sold it as I bought a new Alderlea T-5.. DW makes 3 sizes of cat stoves small, large and x-large.. Good luck with your decision!

Ray

Yes, firebrick is considered a consumable to be replaced at some point. However, my 36-yr.-old stove lined with firebrick has been in service as our main heat stove all that time, since 1975. A couple of the bricks are cracked, but none have had to be replaced. So......

I have a Regency F1100, it's a really nice stove that puts out a lot of heat for it's size. My stove is about 8 years old, the fire bricks are fine. There is an option for an ash drawer but I don't have one, not a problem.

The Regency is a solid well made steel stove, should last a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.