Chomping at the bit to cut some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I recently spotted two trees in my woods that need to come down.

One is a water oak- I'm guessing about 45 feet of straight 20 inch trunk. Quite a bit of the top branches have already dropped. Going to have to wear my headgear and watch out for widow makers when I take this one down. It's going to make some sweet, easy splitting rounds.

The second one is a much larger hickory also dropping branches. Between the two of them I should have a good supply of wood for next winter (hopefully.) We'll see when I get the wood split and tested with my moisture meter. Both of these trees are are right next to the perimeter path/easement that runs along one side of the woods. That will make it easy to access and retrieve. I can pull my little tractor and wagon right up to both trees and I can get my Ford 8N right up there with a boom pole and chain to haul the logs out. There's a lot of shrub and brush around that I'll need to clear out around both trees to give me a safe working environment. I'm ready to get out there but now I've got a bad cold and just don't feel like it. I like to be in good health when I'm working my MS390 dropping and bucking trees.

Hopefully, next week... (sigh)

Ken will this be your first time cutting this winter? Have you healed up?

Backwoods Savage said:
Ken will this be your first time cutting this winter? Have you healed up?

If you're asking about the broken ankle, it's a lot better. Still a little sore and I have to be careful out in the woods. I'm afraid I'll step on some uneven ground and roll that ankle again.

I've done a little bit of work. My buddy and I worked on a giant water oak and got what we could but it was a dangerous situation. There is a thread with pics that I posted a few weeks ago called "The Mother of All Widow Makers." I still want to go back with a tractor and pull that tree top over. I love water oak and there is a lot of good wood that's mine for the taking.
About that same time I took down a storm topped pin oak back in my woods. I cut it into 10 inch lengths and split it for a N/S burn. Since it is bucked and split into small pieces I'm hoping it will be ready to burn next winter.

So, I've done some work this winter and hope to do more soon. Besides the two above mentioned trees I have a buddy with about 30 oak trees that have died in the past year or so. Still standing. I can have all of that I want and can manage.

Yes, that ankle is what I was concerned about Ken. Just make sure you take it easy. The ankle might be a bit weak yet and I'd hate to see your re-injure it. Dang those things can hurt...

Status
Not open for further replies.