Choosing a gas insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starlite2nite

Nov 20, 2006
I have been scouring the forms and trying to figure out the best type of gas insert to purchase. My fireplace size is 33w x 28h and already plumbed with gas. Main objective is visual, with heat as a second as my home is a 1300 sf rambler. I have gone to several retailers in Seattle WA and have only found 2 that were really helpful. Best salesperson I worked with sold Heat-n-Glo and Quadra and I am leaning towards the Heat-n-Glo. The Monessen seems to have the best view of what I have seen, but it doesn't get too favorable of a rep on the forum. The qualm I am having on the Heat-n-Glo is that this dealer will only sell it with a mesh screen that covers the glass for safety. They are the only ones that have required this. The unit doesn't have that large of an opening. Thanks for the input!

Personally I think that is just the right size fireplace for a Jotul GF300 DV Allagash hearth stove. Rear vented into a liner in your chimney. A fan is available for it to distribute heat and they look great with the doors open and a fire burning in them. And don't need no stinkin screen. Of course some would depend on how much hearth you have in front of the fireplace.

Put up a picture of the fireplace.

The quad qvi 30 and 35 are nice. Also the Jotul kathadin. The screen is sweet. It takes the glare off the glass and makes it disapear. I would not limit yourself to inserts with out screens, most have them. Heat-n-glo and Quadra fire are sister companies. Quality is the same. I realy like the firebrick insert from heatilator too. AD-ZC-FB i think. I like BB sugestion too. I love the look of a stove in front of a fireplace. Some people do and some people dont. Dont forget about the quadrafire columbia bay, its a great looking insert.

Thank you both for your replies. The Jotul are attractive, but I am looking for a very clean, flush look without the stove front or ornate trim. The fireplace had a Comfortec insert that stuck out onto the hearth and it made the room look much smaller. Its at the point where I am ready to make the purchase, now I just need to make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.