Choosing a gas log set

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeffmattero76

Jul 24, 2017
Media, PA
Hello. Looking for some advice. I have a 1994 era Heat-n-Glo zero clearance fireplace in my home. It was installed when we did an addition to our home. We used it as a wood burner for the first 15 years or so, but got tired of the mess that a wood burner causes. It was installed with a triple wall chimney going up and out of my roof, and has a blower on it to take in cool air at the bottom and heat it and blow it out of the top. It was also installed with an outside air intake for combustion and operable glass doors.

I believe this fireplace can be used as either a wood burner or a gas burner. It would be a simple task for me to bring a gas line into the lower compartment of this unit. I am simply looking for guidence on how to choose a set of gas logs. We want this to provide heat to the family room where it is located. How do i choose a logset? I cant find the original paperwork, but from memory, I believe the Model # is EM-43. Amy advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, gas log sets are not Heater-Rated. The are purely decorative appliances
& when used in an open fireplace, will generate a little bit of radiant WARMTH, but not heat.
The HEAT will go up your chimney.
Choose the one you think looks best.
Remove the side refractories before you decide to bring the gas in.
Check them for "punch outs" where the gas line is intended to be run through.
Many ZC boxes were designed with the gas option...
If the IS a "punch out" there should also be a "punch out" in the sheet metal wall
of the firebox.