Choosing a location for a Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donnied44

Feb 13, 2011
Salem NH
Hello everyone. I am fortunate to have just found this forum. I have been reading all day long and have learned quite a bit already.
I have a conventional split level home that just me and the wife occupy. (1200 sq ft upper, 1000 sq ft lower) The lower level has the traditional fire place in the big play room. Right now, we have FHW Oil heat . 2 Zones .. I keep the lower level at about 58 degrees and upstairs about 66-68 when we are home, because of course oil is costing so much. I am past the point of thinking and trying to logically decide what is the best style for my home and where is best overall place to install it in my house. First I thought that I would place it in our living room on the second level where we are all of the time. Then I was reading about someone here that had a Harmon or Astoria Insert in there 1st level. I believe they said they kept the temperature there at 78 and the 2nd level was around 70. That actually sounds pretty good. But of course how do I know if it will actually get to 70 upstairs and might I be disappointed after making the investment and finding out that I should of done something else. Will the 78 degree heat radiate through the floors to make it 70 or so at the main level? Will a P68 Harmon or something equivalent to that size do what I want it to do? Is there a benefit to using the fireplace insert vs a freestanding? (other than altenative pellet fuel) I know it would definitely look good down there but on the other hand, we are not down there much except to exit the house. I sure could use some direction and suggestions. Thanks...

With either option I don't think you'd get enough radiant heat to warm your 2nd level, but with the stairs and doors open and the use of some fans that warm air would make it up there pretty easy.

There are NO guarantees that the heat will make it upstairs. IMO, leave the fireplace alone, and install a freestanding pellet stove upstairs where you spend most of your time. Freestanding units are also MUCH easier to service and clean.

imacman said:
There are NO guarantees that the heat will make it upstairs. IMO, leave the fireplace alone, and install a freestanding pellet stove upstairs where you spend most of your time. Freestanding units are also MUCH easier to service and clean.

Thanks for the repiies. I was also hoping to hear from owners of a split level that have had success in getting heat upstairs from a stove installed on the 1st level. Another concern for me would be having to carry bags of pellets up stairs if I do a 2nd level install. Also are there any recommendations on stove BTU output for a 2nd level install since I'd only be heating 1200 sq ft ?

Pel_Don:

Heat rises.

With 3 children, both floors of our raised ranch (1200 sq.ft per floor) is living space.

We have our pellet stove (fire place insert) in the lower floor - family room. We keep it a73 day and night. We have a short (~3 feet) window curtain at that bottom of the stairs to control how much heat moves up stairs. We keep the oil furnace at 64C down stairs and upstairs is a 4 zone programmable theromostat. The thermostat setting is at 66 upstairs all night rising to 70C at 6:30 AM. At 8:00 it drops back down to 66 and rises again at 2:30PM - just before the kidz get home. It drops again at 6:00 PM. We override the program if we are upstairs and it gets a bit cold.

Basically, my suggestion if you live on both floors as we do, place your stove / insert on the lower floor. If you use the fireplace, you will also have the advantage of a very long (high - 2 stories ~24 feet) vent pipe. This makes for lots of draw on your stove. One thing you've probably noted on this board is that a strong chimney draw is quite important for minimizing pellet stove problems.

As imacman notes, the free standing units are easier to service. I also thing you get more heat from a free-standing stove. I am always disappointed when I note how how the air is in my fire place behind the insert. That's heat I'm loosing!

So if you are really looking to reduce fuel bills and heat bills - and you live on both floors - I suggest the lower floor.

Good luck. Let us know how it all works out.

RonB

I have one installed on my main level and the heat goes upstairs very well. However, I have a very open floor plan (and live in VA where it isn't as cold) and the stove is located in the back middle of the house. We have a large foyer that is 2 stories and the heat exchanges with the upstairs in the foyer. It keeps the first and second floor almost the same temperature and the bedrooms are warm. A friend of mine in a split level has a pellet stove setup where the stove is on the lower floor at one end of the house with a vent above it allowing air to pass directly upstairs. Meanwhile the cold air comes down the steps back into the basement. Bedrooms stay around 62 (which they like) but the rest of the house is toasty.

If you are really wondering what will happen, try putting a fewer electric heaters (with extensions) or a kero heater where you want the stove, crank them up, turn off your furnace, and see what happens. It is a very inexpesive way to see what the heat distribution would be like.

PelDon:
I forgot to mention - my pellet insert / firplaceis about 5 feet from the bottom of the stair well -basically in the centre of the lower floor. It is an optimum location as the heat easily flows up the stair well to the top flooor and dumps between the kitchen and living room area. With the upstairs oil thermostat sitting right between those rooms, the oil furnace will kick on as needed to maintian 70C in the upstairs. When we have a really coold (0 degF) day in NY the furnace does kick in. However, on many days, the furnace never kicks in day or night and we have to close the curtain at the bottom of the stairs to keep the upstairs from becoming too warm.

The upstairs bedrooms - down the end of the hall - do stay cooler at ~65 F as does the bath room. So in the winter we shower down stairs. The added humidity from the shower helps off set the dryness of the pellet stove. So all works well.

The only issue for my wife is what to do when mother nature calls during the night. Does she sit on the cold bathroom seat upstairs (60 to 65C) or walk the added distance to the down stairs to the nice warm ~73C bathroom! Ahh, but the added benefits of manhood ... :)!

Take care
RonB

Status
Not open for further replies.