Choosing a new Woodburning Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sneegle

Oct 11, 2007
Hello experts -

This is a great forum, and I thought I would ask your advice. I have a 3000 sq ft home currently heated by propane forced air. In an attempt to reduce, but not eliminate propane costs I want to install an efficient wood burning fireplace. After much reading I have decided on the Fireplace Xtrordinaire 36 Elite. I was going to go with the 44 Elite, but the installer told me it would blast me out of the room (the livingroom is 15'x35' or so, with a 12' ceiling).

I read a few reviews that said this model had some problems with cold air coming into the room, but the installer says those problems were on older models and have been fixed.

I'm looking for confirmation that this is a good choice, or suggestions for a better one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

sneegle said:
Hello experts -

This is a great forum, and I thought I would ask your advice. I have a 3000 sq ft home currently heated by propane forced air. In an attempt to reduce, but not eliminate propane costs I want to install an efficient wood burning fireplace. After much reading I have decided on the Fireplace Xtrordinaire 36 Elite. I was going to go with the 44 Elite, but the installer told me it would blast me out of the room (the livingroom is 15'x35' or so, with a 12' ceiling).

I read a few reviews that said this model had some problems with cold air coming into the room, but the installer says those problems were on older models and have been fixed.

I'm looking for confirmation that this is a good choice, or suggestions for a better one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

There was some discussion by a dealer here who sells both the FPX units and the Bis Tradition zc fireplaces. (See "Calling All Bis Tradition/Montecitpe Estate Owners" thread--look for more recent entries on that thread).

The Travis FPX must use aircooled chimney, and that apparently is the biggest culprit for cold air infiltration into the home for that unit. FPX still uses aircooled chimney, no way to "fix" that.
Depending on what part of country you are in, that may not be a bad probllem or it may be. If you live in San Diego, maybe no problem. If you live in Minot, North Dakota, maybe a problem.

Also, if you burn 24/7 it is less of a problem. If you have fireplace sitting idle, not burning much, then you notice coldair more.

BTB

The VC Sequoia lines uses air-cooled pipe, but its triple walled. The VC people tell me that the cooling air can't get into the chase cavity, it comes down the outside cavity of the pipe, goes back up the middle vacity of the pipe. where the pipe attaches to the firebox, there are holes which allows the outside and middle cavities to exchange air forming the circiut. all the pipes snap together tightly so there is minimal leakage. at least that i what they told me. The reason this is relevant is that "normal" air cooled pipe dumps the air out out on top of the fireplace, hence the cold air spills into the chase when its not used. i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.