Choosing a Pellet Stove: Cast Iron vs Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobforsaken

Oct 2, 2009
Maine
Greetings everyone. I've spent the last several weeks researching pellet stoves and all roads seemed to lead me here. Since I'm sure I will be getting a pellet stove and I WILL have questions, I thought now was as good a time as any to start posting.

My house is a 1000SF Cape with 20000 BTU propane heater (ductless) that does a good job heating the house in Maine... I've just expanded above my connected garage and added about 500 Square feet on the second level that will be connected via a 20 foot hallway that is not so well insulated as t he main house. I know I need another heat source so I'm going to get a pellet stove for that 500 SF Space.. and possibly help augment the heat in the second level of the main house when construction is complete.

My reasons for Pellet is fuel diversification but also the pleasures of wood heat and flame that I'm sure we all share. However, things are very tight financially right now and I have to watch what I spend. I REALLY want a cast iron stove but I don't know if I can justify the extra for the stove. Right now the prices I'm seeing in order of how I like the stove

Harman XXV $3500
Enviro Empress FS 2700
Quadrafire Castile 2800
Harman Accentra 2800

I like the classic wood stove look and the only reason the Accentra makes the list is because of what I've read regarding Harman's cleaning cycles being longer than competitors.

Now the practical side of my says I should go with the Quadrafire Santa fe that the dealer has on sale for $1749, but I don't really care for the looks. Also, I'm nervous about going for the Quadrafire because the lack of exhaust sensor shutdown is a bit of a safety concern for me.

If I was going to go for a pedestal stove that, to me, is less attractive my choice would be Harman's P43 (for cleaning and exhaust sensing once again), but with a cost of $2500, I might as well go for the Castile, Accentra, or Empress.

Could someone, with more experience, look at my situation and make a suggestion? I'm going a bit cross-eyed.

Thanks,

Not sure if I understand your concern over the quad...it has a vacuum sensor, if the exhaust fan should fail then there is no vacuum in the burn area and the stove shuts off...very safe design....I can vouch for the quad Castile as a good looking safe reliable machine, In fact all the units you suggested are very well known and respected units...how about dealer service??? are they from different dealers? If so I would go with the one from the dealer I feel most comfortable working with in case of any issues down the road.
As far as cast iron vs steel this is simply for looks....pick the one you (and any other important person in your life) like best!!
and welcome to the forum!!

peirhead said:
As far as cast iron vs steel this is simply for looks....pick the one you (and any other important person in your life) like best!!
and welcome to the forum!!
Agreed, they all have pros and cons, you need to make the decision.
you'll definately get alot of opinions here.

peirhead said:
Not sure if I understand your concern over the quad...it has a vacuum sensor, if the exhaust fan should fail then there is no vacuum in the burn area and the stove shuts off...very safe design....

Thanks.. It may be pure ignorance. I understood the exhaust sensor as a temp sensor trigger to shut down the stove in case the stove is burning out of control. I think I read one to many post about something like this happening and its probably a one in a million shot of it actually causing a fire and probably 10 times more dangerous to have propane heat..
Setting me straight on this idea is precisely the kind of information I'm looking for.

In terms of the dealers, the Harman dealer I've talked to was the one I felt the most comfortable with (rocky's stove shoppe, if anyone in Maine has experience with local dealers) probably because I talked to a technician and not a sales guy. The Quad Dealer was nice enough... he's part of a chain of (Finest Hearth) with 5 or so dealerships within 2 hours of me. He is offering the deal on the Santa Fe which is the cheapest price I've found.

I have not yet gone to the Enviro Dealer and although I'm sure its a nice stove, I feel so much better going Quad or Harman due to the number of positive postings.

To choose what I like the best, I'd go for the XXV without a doubt. But I don't know if what amounts to be $700-800 more than the Castile or Accentra is worth it for the extra BTU's. Or if its worth worth $1000 more than the Santa Fe to have something that I like the looks of like the Castile.

All pellets stoves have a fire runaway shutdown, if they didn't, there insurance company would not let them sell it.

It's a wonder the pellet stoves run at all, with all the built in safety features.

There are a lot of used stoves out there to be had for a good bit less money then new. Be aware that most of the stove warranty's do not cover the techs time in getting to you hence you will be on the hook for some costs. Most stove shops look at this on a stove/customer by customer basis. If they come to you and the problem is from the stove not being properly maintained you will be paying for the full bill. I guess what I'm saying is read the variuos warranties and take that into consideration. Once a stove is burned in your home it becomes a used item and the value drops just like a new car. There were a lot of people that bought pellet stoves when fuel prices were very high that are now looking to get sell their stoves. These stoves have been used very little.
If you are not at all mechanically inclined then a new stove is probably they way for you to go until you learn what you have to do to keep one running correctly. If you buy used you will have to get it moved and hooked up which is not that difficult depending on the situation.

If money were tight I'd be looking used. The stoves you have mentioned all have good historys of being good stoves and if you ask on this forum about a particular stove members will tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly if there are any.

You will have to decided which stove floats your boat.

Good luck.

Bkins

If money is tight right now, save your money and get what you want. you will have this stove for a long time, and get to look at it and think about your decision for a long time. Get what you want. THere isn't that much difference in price and cast iron is a much better material to build a stove out of. Cast Iron retains and dissapates heat over a long period of time, making the heating more even. Cast Iron is about as good as soap stone in that respect and much more durable in a stove than steel.

If money is tight just save enough before you buy. Actually a Harman had a transferable warranty so if you could find one a year old that might be a good deal.
But if it is the first stove you have worked with you might be better advised just to spend the extra and go new.
The one thing to think about is they pay for themselves much faster then other toys in your house so don't buy a cheapie. Buy quality and something that you can resell if the time comes that you want to change something. The dealer will be very important and having said that I would ask your friends if they knew any dealers or could recommend someone.
I would be looking at 5 to 10 years of owning a stove so with that tax rebate and prorating the stove over that many years there isn't such a need to go cheap.
You have some good brands picked out just have to narrow it down a little. All those brands of stoves have safety features built in them to keep them safe.

Bobforsaken,

I only want to bring up 2 things. The 30% tax credit, if your stove qualifies, might make the price difference less important.

and 2nd, the Harman XXV weighs 430 pounds when the pellet bin is full. It is REAL nice to sit on while it's getting warmed up first thing in the morning, before the house is warm and while my butt is still freezing.

EDIT: [Wearing pajamas]

Just thought I'd mention these 2. Cast iron is real substantial.

clifford

With a pellet stove (unlike a wood stove), very little cast iron actually heats up, it's mostly in the heat exchanger and the surfaces around the heat exchanger. So it's pretty much all about looks. That's why we have it, and the heat helps a little too. What do you need an exhaust sensor for other than to get covered in ash and not work properly. That's why the settings are there on the outside of the stove. You can always hook up your stove to a thermostat, be it programmable, or the cheap slider. Plug and play!

You need a very small stove for 500 sq ft. In near zero-temperatures where I live in Ontario Canada I have trouble moving my heat range setting beyond 1 (of 9) In real sub zero weather it can't be set higher than 3. Stoves aren't working that efficiently at these settings, My stove is in a 700 sq foot rec room below a 2,300 sq ft. rancher, with a big staircase. I can tell you the heat from these stoves doesn't travel very well, especially, in your case, laterally. I'd be looking for the smallest firebox possible.

And I would be looking for a good used stove in the $1,500 range.

Thank you all for the suggestions... I generally go for what I want regardless of price for big ticket items, because you will have it for some time and you can't trade in to upgrade if you are unfulfilled with your original purchase. However, without a significant improvement between the Santa Fe and XXV, its hard to choke down the 1700 difference in price.

I think I'm going to go with the Santa Fe and if I yearn for a Cast Iron Wood Stove, I can get a Jotul F 3 CB for 1700 for the main house in the future with the money saved not going for the XXV. That really gives me the best of both worlds and most flexibility. Plus while things are tight now, I get the pellet stove I need for the new area for significantly cheaper.

Wish me luck. Anyone NOT satisfied with the Santa Fe?

I was doing the same research as you a few months ago. I bought a P43 from Rocky's, they are great people to deal with and are very helpful. I originally wanted the XXV but couldn't justify the additional cost. I'm heating a 1200sq ft cape, so far the P43 just idles with barely a flame. Have them show you how to clean the stove, that's what did it for me, the P43 is so simple to do a major clean, no tools required just a vacuum cleaner. I hope Rocky's showed you so you can compare cleaning with the Quad, which I have no experience with. If it's easy to clean you'll do it more often and pellet stoves need to run clean for optimum effecientcy. The other amazing thing about the P43 is the electronic controls, I run mine in the room temp mode and it's just like the setting the thermostat on the furnace, nice even heat. And this time of year it only runs when needed turning itself on and off.

BJN644 said:
I was doing the same research as you a few months ago. I bought a P43 from Rocky's, they are great people to deal with and are very helpful. I originally wanted the XXV but couldn't justify the additional cost. I'm heating a 1200sq ft cape, so far the P43 just idles with barely a flame. Have them show you how to clean the stove, that's what did it for me, the P43 is so simple to do a major clean, no tools required just a vacuum cleaner. I hope Rocky's showed you so you can compare cleaning with the Quad, which I have no experience with. If it's easy to clean you'll do it more often and pellet stoves need to run clean for optimum effecientcy. The other amazing thing about the P43 is the electronic controls, I run mine in the room temp mode and it's just like the setting the thermostat on the furnace, nice even heat. And this time of year it only runs when needed turning itself on and off.

I'm glad to hear that you have been happy with Rocky's. That may push me over the edge to the P43. (for me its between the Santa Fe and P43)

If buying from Rocky's do they require that they do the installation? My father has done the install for week stoves for several houses and he's quite comfortable helping me do the install for the Pellet stove. (even though the actual piping is different). We were planning on doing through roof installation on the flattest portion of a Gambrel roof. However, is it possible to do a through wall install through the steeper portion of the Gambrel?

Scoop said:
You need a very small stove for 500 sq ft. In near zero-temperatures where I live in Ontario Canada I have trouble moving my heat range setting beyond 1 (of 9) In real sub zero weather it can't be set higher than 3. Stoves aren't working that efficiently at these settings, My stove is in a 700 sq foot rec room below a 2,300 sq ft. rancher, with a big staircase. I can tell you the heat from these stoves doesn't travel very well, especially, in your case, laterally. I'd be looking for the smallest firebox possible.

I was thinking the same, 500 sq.ft. isn't much space to heat, also being new construstion I'd assume it's well insulated. Depending on how far along the project is could you add an air return duct to pump some of the heat back to the hall or lower level? Look at the thread about getting heat into the bedroom, a number of ideas about moving heat around the house.

Vermont-XXV said:
Bobforsaken,

................. It is REAL nice to sit on while it's getting warmed up first thing in the morning, before the house is warm and while my butt is still freezing.

Just thought I'd mention these 2. Cast iron is real substantial.

clifford

Really not the visual I want at 7:30 in the morning. :-S

slow-al said:
Scoop said:

I was thinking the same, 500 sq.ft. isn't much space to heat, also being new construstion I'd assume it's well insulated. Depending on how far along the project is could you add an air return duct to pump some of the heat back to the hall or lower level? Look at the thread about getting heat into the bedroom, a number of ideas about moving heat around the house.

Now that is a great Idea. The stove I purchase will heat more than just the 500 SF eventually, I hope. There is another 500 SF below in the garage that I hope to keep above freezing once I insulate it... There is also two levels of about 144 SF each that is unheated at this point (hallway + mudroom). I originally thought that getting air downstairs would be an exercise in futility. But you've given me something to think about an air return duct...

Bobforsaken said:
Harman XXV $3500
Enviro Empress FS 2700
Quadrafire Castile 2800
Harman Accentra 2800

I like the classic wood stove look and the only reason the Accentra makes the list is because of what I've read regarding Harman's cleaning cycles being longer than competitors.

Just a note, my harman takes 15mins to do a good cleaning on it every two weeks or so. I can not imangine any stove being any eaiser then the XXV to clean. No tubes, pipes in the heat exchanger etc. It is so simple to clean, part of the reason I purchased it, on top of the good looks, and very quiet operation. The stove is worth the money IMO.

Bobforsaken said:
BJN644 said:

I'm glad to hear that you have been happy with Rocky's. That may push me over the edge to the P43. (for me its between the Santa Fe and P43)

If buying from Rocky's do they require that they do the installation? My father has done the install for week stoves for several houses and he's quite comfortable helping me do the install for the Pellet stove. (even though the actual piping is different). We were planning on doing through roof installation on the flattest portion of a Gambrel roof. However, is it possible to do a through wall install through the steeper portion of the Gambrel?

I installed the stove myself, no problem. Rocky's delivered the stove for free. My stove replaced a wood stove, Rocky sold me the needed 4" to 6" tee and I used welded seam 6" stove pipe into my chimney, very similar to how they have the display stoves set up in the shop. I think the 6" single wall pipe acts like a heat exchanger too, less heat going up the chimney. Of course this only works if you have a masonry or metalbestos type chimney to connect to. Some of those Quads are made in China, you may want to check if that matters to you.

I personally don't like the through wall installs, if you get some bad pellets or your stove acts up it will turn the side of your house black. If that is your only option just check with someone who is up on the codes (like Rocky's) and get the details on clearances and that type of stuff.

freeburn said:
With a pellet stove (unlike a wood stove), very little cast iron actually heats up, it's mostly in the heat exchanger and the surfaces around the heat exchanger. So it's pretty much all about looks. That's why we have it, and the heat helps a little too. What do you need an exhaust sensor for other than to get covered in ash and not work properly. That's why the settings are there on the outside of the stove. You can always hook up your stove to a thermostat, be it programmable, or the cheap slider. Plug and play!

That's a very good point if you are just thinking about radiant heat. However, my stove has cast iron heat exchangers which do provide more steady heat exchange than steel.

Mark :)

Status
Not open for further replies.